Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sciences
Department of Molecular Sciences
A position as professor in inorganic and physical chemistry is hereby announced at the Department of Molecular Sciences, SLU, Uppsala. The department currently consists of approximately 110 employees. Together with two other departments it forms an inspiring, excellent research environment at Uppsala BioCenter, with competence within plant biology, mycology, plant pathology, microbiology, food science, genomics, chemistry and biotechnology, and with state of the art infrastructure consisting of e.g. plant cultivation facilities, advanced microscopy, X-ray, NMR and molecular biology facilities. The department provides the scientific community and the society in general with knowledge on chemical compounds and biological processes, and the importance of these for the society and its development. The department performs research, education and environmental monitoring within the areas: inorganic, physical and organic chemistry, biochemistry, natural products chemistry, food science and microbiology. Visit us at: http://www.slu.se/en/departments/molecular-sciences/
The subject covers experimental studies in the field of inorganic and physical chemistry as well as their applications in the green sector, central for a transition to a circular and biobased economy.
The holder of the position is expected to
· develop and lead internationally competitive research within the subject
· apply for external research funding at national and international levels
· plan and participate in teaching and supervision of students at undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels
· maintain existing, and develop new, national and international networks and collaborations with academia, relevant stakeholders, industries and businesses as well as society in general
· disseminate research findings and contribute with relevant knowledge to society
· contribute to the faculty´s strategic development at department and faculty levels.
The candidate who is offered the position shall
· have a doctorate and the qualifications required to be appointed docent or equivalent
· possess research expertise within the subject
· have demonstrated a proven ability to lead a successful research team
· possess teaching expertise
The assessment for appointment of a professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The assessment of research expertise will consider
· past and ongoing research
· ability to independently initiate and conduct successful research
· ability to attract external funding.
The assessment of teaching expertise will consider
· experience of planning, conducting and evaluating teaching
· experience of supervision and examination at doctoral level
· ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in teaching.
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the candidate´s degree of skills in
· developing and managing activities and staff within academia
· collaborating with relevant stakeholders and society
· dissemination of research and development projects.
Particular emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s scientific skills within the subject as well as on the ability to implement the above-mentioned duties. Previous experience and activities around applications within the green sector, central for a transition to a circular and biobased economy are meritorious as well as previous research using synchrotron radiation.
Assessment of teaching and research expertise shall be given equal consideration.
Final date for application
Place of work
Form of employment
According to agreement
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application. https://internt.slu.se/globalassets/mw/org-styr/styr-dok/personal/riktlinjer-ansokan-anstallning-professor-universitetslektor-bitradande-universitetslektor-slu-170425-en.pdf
Academic union representatives
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
Acting Head of Department