Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Postdoctoral Fellow Position Structural Biology / Cryo-EM
Institute of Biochemistry
With approximately 50,000 students, the University of Cologne is one of the largest universities in Germany and ranks among the Excellence Universities. It employs over 600 professors and 7,000 academic and non-academic staff.
The recently established research unit of the Alexander von Humboldt Professor Jijie Chai, University of Cologne, has a competitive research lab based at the Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne. The labs focus is on the understanding of structural and functional aspects of Receptor-like Kinases (RLKs) and NOD-like receptors (NLRs).
- process data from cryo-EM experiments
- prepare protein samples for (cryo)-EM experiments
- plan and conduct experiments in structural biology
- involvement in cutting edge research
- perform teaching at the University of Cologne
- must have experience using cryo-EM
- talented structural scientist (PhD is required) driven by self-motivation to contribute in the field of structural biology
- prior high level research experience and ability to drive projects with high degree of independence
- excellent interpersonal, organizational skills and communication ability especially to write and speak concisely in English (international team)
- profound knowledge of structural biology, structural biology software
WE OFFER YOU
- an excellent research facility in multicultural research environment
- interaction with top level scientists
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time models
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from January 2019 on a full-time basis. It is initially limited to 2 years. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. Women are expressly encouraged to apply and given priority in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North-Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We expressly welcome applications from individuals with severe disabilities or people of equivalent status. Severely disabled applicants of equal merit and qualifications will be given priority.
Please send your convincing application with proof of the sought qualifications by email (in one PDF-file) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference number Wiss1807-17. The application deadline is 30.11.2018.