Ref.10.18.50 – Research Fellow – Bioengineering and microfluidics
Type of contract: Limited duration
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: Up to 3 years after PhD
Open date for applications: 12th October 2018
Closing Date for applications: 26th November 2018
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Aging & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
This call is related to the Scientific Research and Technological Development Projects identified hereunder, which are cofunded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
Project specifications: INL participates in the following Scientific Research:Life Sciences/Nanomedicine
(a) Name of the project: InNPeC - Nano tools for rare giants: an innovative blood-based screening for prostate cancer
(b) Reference number: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031442
(c) Scientific Area: Medical Biotechnology
(d) Description: This project aims to develop innovative nanotechnology-based tools for a better characterization of prostate cancer, improved screening and personalized clinical reasoning, using rare cancer-associated cells from blood as biomarkers. This includes design, fabrication and testing of microfluidic systems and sensing platforms, for automated real-time enumeration of cancer-associated cells, as well as to elucidate immune cell-cancer cell crosstalk, possibly as a new therapeutic target.
Description of the functions and key primary responsibilities:
The successful candidate will work on the development of microfluidic systems and 3D bioengineered models for cellular analysis, and will collaborate with cross-functional teams so high adaptability to a multidisciplinary environment is required. She/he will be assigned the following working plan:
- Development of microfluidic systems, including sensing platforms, for cell capture and analysis, to be tested and characterized under controlled conditions (in vitro cell lines, primary cells and samples from prostate cancer patients)
- Development of 3D microfluidic models of cell-cell interactions
Specific Eligibility Conditions:
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties the candidate will be required to perform:
- PhD in one of the following areas: Biomedical engineering, Bioengineering, Physical Engineering or related fields
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in micro and nanofabrication
- Applicants should have a profile with experience on the development on microfluidic devices, preferably for biological or medical applications.
- Expertise/scientific knowledge in mammalian cell culture will be a plus
- Applicants are also expected to have high-quality publications in international journals, and to be competitive in obtaining external research funding
- The candidate is expected to participate and have experience in production of scientific documentation, planning of projects, translation of technology, as well as, in supervision/co-supervision of students
- Applicants with international mobility experience will be highly evaluated.
Applications that not meet these conditions will not be considered.
Supervision: The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. Marta Oliveira. The successful candidate will be integrated in the Nanomedicine group, within the Health Unit.
The selection of candidates will be carried out by a Selection Committee consisting of the following persons:
1) Dr. Marta Oliveira
2) Dr. Paulo Freitas
3) Dr. Sandra Carvalho
4) Renata Silva
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 30 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual. In any case the contract cannot exceed the duration of the project. The expected starting date is December 2018.
General Eligibility conditions, required qualifications and expertise:
Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Hold a PhD Degree within the field of the selected vacancy;
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen with a scientific and professional curriculum that demonstrates an appropriate profile for the activity to be performed;
- Fluency in English is required.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
(c) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees;
(d) At least one recommendation letter.
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
The selection of candidates shall be made by means of an assessment of the research experience within the framework of the Project, which shall focus on the relevance, quality and up-to-date of the following items:
- Scientific and Technological Production (‘STP’);
- Applied and Practice-based Research Activities (‘RA’);
- Activities related to the Dissemination of Knowledge (‘DK’);
- Activities related to the Management of Science, Technology and Innovation programmes (‘MSTI’)
The research experience will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- STP (65%): Academic Qualifications (AQ) – 10%; Research Quality (RQ) – 40%; Impact and Efectiveness (IE) – 15%;
- RA (15%): Research Coordination (RC) – 5%; Development, operation and maintenance of core facilities “instrumentation and/or equipment” (DOM) – 2%; organisation of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities (OCSS) - 2 %; teaching activities “advanced courses or university” (TA) – 3%; research stays and internships (RSI) – 3%;
- DK (5%): Transfer to other areas of society (TS) – 3%; promotion of the public understanding of science (PPUS) – 2%;
- MSTI (5%): Development of Laboratory facilities, management of research groups (DFMG) – 3%; evaluation of STI activities (EA) – 2%.
This criteria will have a total valuation of 90%. The minimum threshold for this stage is 60%.
The top four ranked candidates will be shortlisted for interview, provided however that they pass the threshold mentioned above.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer:
Successful applicants will be offered the corresponding positions.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the 'Apply for this job' button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
What we offer:
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organization composed by a gross monthly Remuneration of 2600.00€ paid in 12 installments. Due to INL special legal status as intergovernmental organization, financial benefits are exempt for national income tax. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation:
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. For this purpose, a copy of the Staff Rules shall be provided. The contract may also be supplemented by the terms and conditions of the Financing Contract between the Organisation and the FCT governing the implementation of the FCT Project.
Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results:
Each candidate notified via email of the result of their individual application. If the first candidate refuses the offer, the Human Resources will send an offer to the second candidate on the ranking, and so on until the vacancy is filled.
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org