HHMI is widely recognized as an innovative national philanthropy, the world’s foremost medical research organization, a leading light in science education and a top institutional investor.
HHMI has achieved its leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At HHMI, you are not just an employee - you are part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges across a multitude of areas.
In this role, you will manage the procurement process for all assigned labs and departments to include researching sources and analysis of price comparison for goods and fulfillment, recommending options based on analysis, negotiating pricing agreements, executing orders, invoicing, and reconciling payments. You will provide input and recommendations to the supplier relationship team on supplier activity levels, proposed contract development, contract administration and supplier quality. You will also support assigned labs and departments on all Purchasing issues/questions. To be successful in this role, you will maintain constructive collaborative relationships across procurement and Institute-wide operations, leveraging these relationships to ensure continual operational focus.
The core working hours for this role are 11:30am - 8:00pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage daily acquisition of goods and services in support of HHMI labs and departments.
- Manage procurement requests and use judgment to determine most effective means to procure the desired goods or services to fulfill request.
- Advise laboratory and department staff on HHMI preferred suppliers and products. Promote the use of existing contracted suppliers and supplier catalogs available on P2P.
- Serve as primary procurement contact to assigned labs and departments for issues/questions. May resolve the question directly, refer to another PSP or escalate to Manager, while maintaining “ownership” of the question until final resolution.
- Negotiate pricing agreements with non-contract/catalog suppliers.
- Manage invoicing problems and ensure invoice reconciliation is resolved in a timely manner, working with Sourcing in the case of AN catalog suppliers and Accounts Payable for other transactions as necessary.
- Provide consistent high-quality service within targeted productivity, efficiency and accuracy metrics, meeting or exceeding SLA’s.
- Expedite orders and resolve issues when appropriate.
- Oversee pro-card purchases and reconciles statements.
- Resolve purchase order remaining obligations expeditiously.
- Develop in depth knowledge of the goods and services procured at the Institute and the needs of assigned commodities.
- Provide input on the development of purchasing policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Analyze spending patterns for supported labs and coordinate with supplier relationship group and PSP to help lab and department managers assess possible improvements or cost savings.
- Communicate and meet with designated laboratory and department members to inform of changes in HHMI’s procurement policies and procedures.
- Good communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver end results with accuracy and efficiency.
- Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
- Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty.
- Bachelor's degree in purchasing, business or related discipline.
- Three to five years of procurement experience, preferably in an academic or research environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite programs and procurement systems.