The Section of Environmental Chemistry, Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management (MINA) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant full university professor permanent position within radioecolog/- environmental radioactivity. The position also includes the serving as a Director of the CERAD Centre of Excellence, at least until 2022. Description of the position
The CERAD Centre of Excellence for Environmental Radioactivity is integrated in the Section for Environmental Chemistry. This Centre of Excellence was established in 2013 at NMBU in collaboration with the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority, the Meteorological Institute, the National Institute of Public Health and the Norwegian Institute of Water Research, and is funded until 2022 by the Research Council of Norway.
CERAD has initiated long-term basic research to improve the ability to accurately assess the radiological impact and risks from environmental radioactivity, also combined with other stressors. By focusing on key factors contributing to the overall uncertainties, state-of-the- art tools and methods are developed to better manage those risks.
According to the international Mid-term Evaluation Committee established by the Research Council of Norway (RCN): “CERAD is a global Centre of Excellence and a flagship for Norwegian science with an agenda that is also highly relevant for society.” In 2017, CERAD included about 60 part-time scientists. So far, 24 PhDs and 9 PostDocs have been associated with CERAD CoE.
More information about CERAD: www.cerad.nmbu.no
NMBU and CERAD offer you:
- A constructive and research oriented academic institution with focus on professional research competence, development and dissemination
- CERAD CoE as a creative and proactive interdisciplinary and inclusive research environment that provides exciting research- and development opportunities
- Daily contact with inspiring students, young scientists, and skilled colleagues from Norway and abroad
- An academic institution with focus on professional development, dissemination and competence
- An interdisciplinary and inclusive environment that provides exciting research- and development opportunities.
- Possibility to visit relevant institutions, nationally or internationally
- Various welfare schemes
- Kindergarten for children of employees
- Beautiful surroundings just outside Oslo
- To further develop the forefront of the natural science basic research fields in radioecology and environmental radioactivity at NMBU, within CERAD CoE, nationally and internationally.
- Act as Director of CERAD CoE
- Stimulate publication and project acquisition, and interact with society and media
- Contribute significantly to the development of relevant education and training programmes at NMBU
- Contribute significantly to the national nuclear emergency preparedness
- Participate actively in relevant scientific committees and organizations nationally as well as internationally
- Develop a strategy for the prolongation of the CERAD Consortium after 2022.
This combined professor and CERAD CoE Director position calls for a highly competent and internationally merited scientist with documented:
- PhD/Dr. Scient./Dr. Phil. degree within radiochemistry, radioecology, nuclear chemistry, biophysics or nuclear physics
- Excellent publication and project acquisition record within radioecology/environmental radioactivity
- National and international network – establishment and participation
- Organization of international conferences/workshops
The applicant should also document research experience associated with nuclear events, ecosystem transfer, impact and risk assessments associated with man-made and Natural Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) situations, as well as emergency preparedness associated with nuclear events.
Besides the above-mentioned academic qualifications, teaching experience will also be considered. Applicants without formal training in pedagogics commits to, within two years, to undertake NMBUs course in university teaching.
In addition you also need to have:
- Enthusiasm and creativity in research and education
- Leadership experience and administrative skills from a relevant scientific organization of international standards, and also from conducting field expeditions
- Ability to work individually and in teams
- Ability to work in a result-oriented environment
- Flexibility with respect to work tasks
- Ability to create a positive working environment
- Excellent capabilities in English, both orally and in writing
NMBU is working with determination to increase equality and emphasize gender balance in management teams. Knowledge of and results from active gender equality work will be given importance when recruiting to this position.
REMUNERATION AND INFORMATION
The professor position is placed in the Norwegian government pay scale, position code 1013 Professor, salary grade (72-83) (NOK 657.900 – 870.900), depending on qualifications. In the case of particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered.
Additional salary associated with the CERAD Director position amounts to NOK 100.000 per year.
Information to applicants
To apply online for this vacancy, please visit Jobbnorge.no (ID: 158953).
This will route you to the University’s Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 03.12.2018
Up to ten publications should be selected by the applicant, and three copies of the selected articles should be attached to the application or the selected articles should be easily available electronically.
If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work is suggested.
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), Faculty of Environmental Sciences and Natural Resource Management (MINA), P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, within 03.12.2018. Please quote reference number 18/05356