Postdoctoral position: genome analytics/genome biostatistics
Lübeck Interdisciplinary Platform for Genome Analytics (LIGA) at the University of Lübeck
The University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein is one of the largest university hospitals in Europe with more than 80 clinics and institutes. It offers outstanding medical treatment and excellence in research and education with nearly 13,000 employees, 2,600 patient beds and more than 100,000 hospitalized patients, 240,000 outpatient cases and in excess of 3,000 births a year. We provide top research at the interface of medicine, science and technology and maintain research co-operations with universities all over the world.
The “Lübeck Interdisciplinary Platform for Genome Analytics”/LIGA (head: Prof. Dr. med. Lars Bertram) is part of the Medical Faculty (“Sektion Medizin”) at the University of Lübeck. The overarching aim of LIGA is to excel genome research on campus to improve our understanding of the genetic and epigenetic foundations of genetically complex diseases and traits relevant to human brain aging. To this end, we are participating in the “Lifebrain” study, an EU-funded multi-institutional research project aimed at identifying the determinants of human brain development, cognitive functioning, and mental health across the lifespan (i.e. 0 – 100 years of age). To lead the analysis and functional interpretation of genome-/epigenome-wide data generated as part of “Lifebrain”, we are seeking highly motivated junior or senior scientists (m/f) to join our team.
Our group is located in the beautiful city of Lübeck among many UNESCO World Heritage sites and directly on the Baltic Sea coastline. Less than 45 minutes away is Hamburg, Germany’s second largest city and home to a wide range of cultural and leisure attractions.
What you can expect:
- perform statistical analyses in the context of GWAS and EWAS to correlate the (epi-)genome-wide data with a variety of mostly longitudinal cognitive and imaging phenotypes
- conduct state-of-the-art post-GWAS/-EWAS analyses (LDSC, PGS, GSMR, etc.) for interpreting the primary association results
- publish your research findings in peer-reviewed journals
- support the design of new research projects and/or study protocols, including application for research grants as principal investigator/PI (m/f) or co-PI (m/f)
What we expect:
- degree in biostatistics, genetic epidemiology, or a related field
- competence in the processing and statistical analysis of large-scale genomics and epigenomics data in the context of GWAS or EWAS
- familiarity with utilizing data from public “-omics” repositories such as gnomAD, GTEx, NIH Roadmap, dbGaP, etc.
- experience in working in a high-performance computing/compute cluster environment
- solid programming abilities (e.g. in R, Perl, or Python)
- strong communication skills in English both spoken and written
What we offer:
Weekly working time is 100 % of a full-time position (currently 38.50 hours per week); working part-time is possible. Salary will be, depending on qualifications, according to the German salary scale 13 TV-L. This is a temporary position ending on 31 December 2019, with the possibility of extension.
The University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers committed to tolerance, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We value a diverse workforce. People with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.
For more details on LIGA and its team or the Lifebrain project please visit www.liga.uni-luebeck.de. For more information on the position please contact Katja Herrmann-Malzahn (Administrative Assistant) at firstname.lastname@example.org or +49 (0) 451 3101 7491. Please visit www.uni-luebeck.de and www.uksh.de for additional information on University of Lübeck and the University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein.
We are looking forward to your application!
Application documents should include a cover letter briefly describing your motivation to join our team, a CV summarizing your qualifications as related to the position, inlcuding a list of relevant publications, copies of relevant graduation certificates and degrees, and the names and contact information of at least two academic references.
Please submit your application until 23 November 2018, indicating your earliest possible starting date as well as the reference number 20180768, via email to: email@example.com.