VIB is hiring a Research Data Harmonization and Reproducibility Specialist to coordinate the efforts of harmonizing data formatting and the data life cycle as well as to assure reusability and access to its research data. The specialist will play a key role in unlocking important research data for meta-analysis, re-use and opening them up to the wider research community in the context of developments of Open Science. This involves assisting the researchers with formulation of data management plans, use of domain-specific standards for data and metadata description as well as preparing for deposition of data in public repositories, coordinated with development of a VIB-wide infrastructure for research data sharing.
The position will be based at the VIB Bioinformatics Core in Ghent but regular commuting is required to work at the various VIB Centers in Flanders. Furthermore, we closely interact with other national and international initiatives e.g. ELIXIR. VIB greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
The successful candidate combines strong analytical skills, knowledge about research data analysis and computer science and can rely on previous experience with high throughput life sciences data.
The main focus will be on:
- Lead the activities necessary for the implementation of FAIR data principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable).
- Chart and select suitable domain-specific research data standards and maintain their documentation.
- Provide guidance to the research data owners regarding data management plans, data and metadata description and deposition in public repositories.
- Educate the VIB research groups and VIB Core Facilities regarding making their research data FAIR.
- Establish relationships with national and international initiatives related to Research Data Management.
- Master degree or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or equivalent.
- Background in biology and biomedical sciences.
- Knowledge of how to evaluate and compare research data standards.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Highly motivated result-driven with ability to structure and organise a dynamic task portfolio.
- Hands-on experience in a Linux/Unix environment and with scripting languages (e.g. Python).
- Knowledge about various Omics data sets like NGS, proteomics or metabolomics is an asset.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.