Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Medicine
New York or London
Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you enjoy reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is ‘yes’ to any or all of these questions, you could be the person we’re looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Medicine.
Nature Medicine is the premier journal for translational and clinical research in the Nature Research portfolio, publishing only original peer-reviewed research in all areas of medicine on the basis of its originality, timeliness, interdisciplinary interest and impact on improving human health. The journal also publishes News, Reviews and Perspectives, aimed at contextualizing the latest advances in translational and clinical research to reach a wide audience of M.D. and Ph.D. readers. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we are seeking a highly motivated scientist with strong interest in translational and clinical research, ability to think critically and across a range of topics.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in the biomedical or medical sciences, with expertise in metabolism, physiology, endocrinology or related areas.
- Some Postdoctoral research experience is preferred.
- Strong interest in translational and clinical research.
- You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your specialty.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- Be comfortable with working in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Previous editorial experience is required for candidates to a Senior position
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor, and play an important role in helping the chief to shape the future of the journal. They will handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to recommend well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family, and other experts in the international scientific community.
This is a full-time permanent position, located in our New York or London offices. Applicants should send a CV and a brief cover letter explaining their interest in the position and in the journal.
The closing date for applications is November 2nd.