Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
An HHMI Lab located at the University of California, Berkeley, is recruiting for a Research Technician. The incumbent for this position will become a member of a research team conducting biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell culture experiments. S/he will assist in biochemical and cell culture experiments by generating reagents and performing assays with nucleic acids and proteins, as well as perform independent experiments as part of larger projects. S/he will also provide support to the lab, including obtaining reagents, preparing samples, and organizing data. The assistant will further assist with more complex experiments under the guidance of a supervisor. S/he will generate reagents necessary for biochemical assays in order for us to better understand bacterial immunity, or for molecular biology assays to improve our understanding of mammalian cell biology. The experiments will involve molecular cloning, protein expression/purification, RNA preparation/purification, and in vitro biochemistry.
- Generating reagents for biochemical and molecular biology assays, performing independent experiments as part of larger projects
- Assisting with complex lab experiments
- Processing Data
- Organizing and storing laboratory equipment
- Scheduling dates for experiments
- Graduation from college with a Bachelor’s degree in biomedical or health sciences (including, but not limited to, Chemistry or Biology).
- Two years of laboratory experience (including laboratory education experiences), and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Extensive previous wet laboratory experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Cell handling experience
- Experience with preparation of samples for experiments
- Advanced experience with general and specific cell biological and biochemical techniques, methods for nucleic acid and protein preparation.
- Good communication skills.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer