About VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology
VIB is a life sciences research institute, based in Flanders, Belgium. We perform basic research with a strong focus on translating scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB is an independent research institute of the government, with 1470 scientists from more than 60 countries working at UGent, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University.
The VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology(CMB) focuses on the development of new and innovative molecular tools and technologies to challenge human health problems. The Center translates its novel technologies and insights to widely applicable research tools, vaccines, diagnostics and biopharmaceuticals. Our research pushes the boundaries of protein-focused biomolecular and bioinformatics research and engineering technologies. CMB educates and trains the next generation of medical biotechnology researchers and informs the public on the impact of biotechnology on human health.
The VIB-UGhent Center for Medical Biotechnology is hiring an enthousiastic postdoctoral researcher to develop an improved influenza vaccine. The Saelens group is a highly motivated and multidisciplinary team with a major interest to develop new vaccines and antibody-based antivirals against human influenza and respiratory syncytial virus. We have a long standing interest in influenza vaccine development. This includes the design and production of influenza virus antigens in recombinant expression systems, in vivo evaluation of candidate vaccines, study of the mechanism of action of these vaccines and the establishment of in vitro assays that allow to establish a correlate of protection.
The lab has pioneered the discovery of one of the candidate universal influenza vaccine candidates. Moreover, our team has reported on the discovery of single domain antibodies with potent virus neutralizing activity. Translation of laboratory findings into biomedical applications is an important driver of our research.
- A working climate where trust, (international) collaboration, and commitment are essential
- A two-year contract (extendable) with a competitive salary and benefits
- Financial support is available for 2 years but the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain an independent fellowship during this time.
- Access to state-of-the art equipment for life science research
- The successful candidate will work together with and directly supervise two highly skilled lab technicians.
- We seek a young and ambitious postdoctoral fellow interested to work at the interface of fundamental and applied research.
- A background in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering or equivalent and proficient experience in influenza virology research are required; experience in influenza vaccine research is an asset.
- You are a creative, cooperative person with hands-on attitude and the ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Effective communication and writing skills and a good mastery of the English language (TOEFL test) are essential for a successful selection.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV and a short motivation letter (with the description of previous research experiences and contact information of 3 referees).
Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information, please contact Xavier Saelens.