The Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) and the Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBELL) in Barcelona are jointly seeking an exceptional candidate for establishing a multidisciplinary research group in cancer immunotherapy and immunology within the ICO Program Against Cancer Therapeutic Resistance (ProCURE) and the IDIBELL. ICO is a public institution working exclusively in the field of cancer. Its approach to the disease is comprehensive, combining all in one organization prevention, care, specialized training, and research. The ICO is the referral center for >50% of the adult population of Catalonia and research activities are fundamental to its mission; “to reduce the impact of cancer in the general population”. The host program ProCURE includes 10 translational research groups from three ICO centers working coordinately against cancer therapeutic resistance.
IDIBELL is a research institution focused on cancer, neurosciences and translational medicine, in which high quality biomedical research takes place with the aim of improving human health and promoting economic development. IDIBELL manages the activities of researchers from the University Hospital of Bellvitge (HUB), University of Barcelona-Bellvitge Campus (UB), the ICO-L’Hospitalet, and more recently from the Center of Regenerative Medicine in Barcelona (CMR[B]). The institute is located south of Barcelona, in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, has as a total laboratory area of 5000 sq m, including fundamental core facilities. A key aspect of IDIBELL research is its proximity to the patient and daily clinical activities. IDIBELL includes more than 60 research groups that carry out basic, translational and/or clinical research, 50% of which are linked with cancer research. IDIBELL is part of the CERCA institution of the Generalitat of Catalonia. In 2009, it was accredited as a health research institute by the Carlos III Institute of Health. More recently, the European Commission has recognized IDIBELL with the HRS4R logo (Excellence in Human Resources in Research), which identifies IDIBELL as a provider and supporter of a stimulating research work environment.
• Plan, supervise, and direct research in cancer immunotherapy and immunology.
• Lead the creation of a multidisciplinary ICO unit on cancer immunotherapy, and will participate and/or lead new study designs, sample or data collection, and initial clinical trials.
• Collaborative research with other ICO and IDIBELL faculty members is also strongly encouraged. An active participation in transversal programs dealing with immunology is anticipated.
• Doctoral degree in a biomedical area.
• Minimum postdoctoral experience of 4 years.
• A strong record of published studies in cancer immunotherapy and immunology, and experience in designing and/or leading clinical trials.
• Excellent teamwork, capacity to interact and cooperate with industry partners and other local centers/researchers, demonstrated leadership skills to establish and coordinate a multidisciplinary team and ability to obtain significant extramural funding are required.
• The potential to combine his/her own basic-translational research projects with support to ICO clinical trials (a new phase I/II unit has been launched) will be valued.
• An initial 2 year full-time appointment with the possibility to obtain competitive salary (Miguel Servet, Ramon y Cajal or ICREA) within the next 2-3 years.
• The salary is competitive and the offer will include an attractive starting package to set-up the lab and group.
• Start date: after selection process, planned for Q1-Q2 2019.
As part of the application process, the candidate should provide a current curriculum vitae, a research statement, contact information for three references, and a cover letter describing qualifications and career goals to firstname.lastname@example.org (Ref. HOS_PROC_201809) before November 30th.
Candidates pre-selected by an ad hoc committee will be invited for an interview at the ICO-IDIBELL. Both, ICO and IDIBELL are committed to a transparent, open and merit-based recruitment policy, aligned to the HRS4R. The pre-selected candidates will be informed in writing, and letters of recommendations will be requested.