The mission of the Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Department is to utilize transplantation therapies to eliminate cancer and provide personalized patient care. The program has a strong commitment to clinical and basic science research and to advancing the field of stem cell transplants. We are one of the largest centers in the world for stem cell transplants, performing more than 865 procedures each year, more than any other center in the nation.
The Senior Research Assistant position assists principal investigator with scientific research project. Functions in a separate and independent manner in the design and initiation of research experiments. Designs, develops or adapts equipment used in experiments or research to obtain desired results. Determines specific goals or objectives to be obtained, evaluates research data and develops and revises techniques or approaches to work problems. Plans training and research work activity for assigned laboratory and research personnel. Supervises the use of laboratory equipment and implements safety procedures. Compiles, writes and submits project results to superiors.
The salary range is min-$39,200, mid-$49,000, max-$58,800.
Senior Research Assistant
* Perform molecular biology procedures including genotyping, DNA extraction, RNA extraction, and cDNA synthesis.
* Design and implement cloning strategies to develop viral vectors (lentiviral, retroviral, adeno-associated virus vectors) and other intermediates to meet end goals in various gene therapy projects.
* Perform cloning related procedures including PCR, mutagenesis, restriction enzyme digestion and analysis, gel electrophoresis, gel purification, ligation, cloning, bacterial transformation, bacterial culturing, DNA purification, and sequencing and sequence analysis.
* Perform cellular biology procedures, including lentivirus production and purification, viral titration, cell line maintenance, flow cytometry, and ELISA and other immunoassays.
* Maintain all laboratory cloning strategy documentation, sequences, and plasmid storage. Maintain and revise molecular protocols and the virus production protocols as needed.
* Train and supervise laboratory personnel in the above molecular biology techniques, sequence interpretation, equipment usage.
* Ensure proper and safe laboratory operations by preparing bacterial media, plates, antibiotic stocks, and cell culture reagents, maintaining glassware/plasticware and equipment, stocking and ordering lab supplies, and maintaining freezer records.
* Participate in lab meetings and collaborations.
* Assist with scheduling instrumentation and service.
* Scheduling instrumentation and service.
* Work with team to request supplies and reagents for research lab.
*Assigns and reviews work of subordinates, determines specific goals or objectives to be attained, evaluates resulting research data, and revises techniques or approaches to work problems. Utilizes institutional and departmental databases to perform data retrieval for analysis. Designs retrieval templates for standard queries. Apply bio-statistical methods in analyzing clinical data such as pretreatment characteristics, response to treatment, toxicities, and mortality, etc.
Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Required: Five years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, three years of required experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html sonj
Employee Status: Regular
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 39,200
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 49,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 58,800