The Center for Medical Genetics and Genomics (CMG) of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is committed to the treatment and study of genetic disorders spanning the life cycle from pregnancy, through childhood, and into adulthood. Our diverse team of medical geneticists and genetic counselors helps families understand the inheritance and natural history of genetic disease, provides information about risk factors, and explains and interprets genetic tests. Our clinical services are seamlessly integrated with our UPMC specialty laboratory testing sites including the Pittsburgh Cytogenetic Laboratory, the Pregnancy Screening Laboratory, and the UPMC Department of Pathology Division of Molecular Diagnostics.
The overall function of the Medical Director, Reproductive Genetics is to coordinate the delivery of specialty care to all patients as needed and to administer the Division of Reproductive Genetics in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences in compliance with standards and regulations set forth by JCAHO and other regulatory agencies (i.e., Department of Health, OSHA, CMS (formerly HCFA). The Medical Director shall also perform those duties and responsibilities set forth in Magee-Womens Hospital’s Medical Staff Bylaws.
• Provide appropriate administrative direction and oversight of the Division of Reproductive Genetics of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, including both clinicians, and investigators.
• Provide appropriate administrative direction and oversight in the role of Medical Director of Reproductive Genetics for the Womens Health Service Line.
• Champion the effort to expand the Reproductive Telegenetics program in conjunction with the Womens TeleHealth Program Manager.
• Assure the highest quality training experience for Ob/Gyn residents and fellows, medical genetics residents, and genetic counseling students
• Oversee compliance with all regulatory requirements related to health care delivery, sufficient documentation of services and proper billing processes
• Collaborate with administration to carry out the mission of the organization through participation in meetings, responding to requests for advice and implementing policies
• Enhance the growth and development of the genetics division through recruitment of high quality providers, response to community needs, acquisition of sufficient support, prudent budget management and refinement of short term and long term strategic plans.
• Assist in the hiring of new faculty
• Assist in the performance evaluations of genetics faculty
• Develop policies and teaching programs for the Division
Clinical responsibilities include treatment of Reproductive Genetics and Adult Genetics patients at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC and remote locations via teleconsult.