Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary research institute with a focus on human biology and its relation to medicine. It is located in Milano, on the site of the Milano Expo, which is currently being converted into a very large science and innovation campus called the Milano Innovation District (MIND: see website with overall plans, www.mindmilano.it).
HT is an independent foundation created and supported by the Italian government, which has guaranteed ongoing funding. The first Director of the Human Technopole (from 01.01.19) as well as Chairman of the Management Committee is Iain Mattaj, until now Director General of EMBL; the President and Chairman of the Supervisory Board is Marco Simoni, an economist with both academic and government background. Other details on governance can be found on the HT website (www.htechnopole.it).
In its first phase, to be completed by 2019, HT has or will create space for both computational and “wet” experimental biologists with one “dry” and two experimental buildings and a total capacity of roughly 500 staff. Thereafter, with new buildings, it will grow to have roughly 1500 staff during the first 10 years.
At present, HT is opening a search for the first Heads of Research Centres.
We wish to appoint Heads of Genomics, Computational Biology, Neuroscience and Structural Biology. We will also consider applications from excellent younger researchers in these areas. The junior researchers will each lead a research group within the Research Centres.
Although human biology is the focus of HT, the use of appropriate models, including model organisms, to illuminate aspects of human biology is expected. Structural Biology equipment for high resolution cryo-EM will be one of the major initial infrastructure investments. We are particularly interested in people combining genomics and neuroscience.
The additional responsibilities of the Heads of Research Centres include:
• Developing, in a collegial way, the research strategy and priorities of the Centre
• Resource planning and financial control within the Centre
• Mentoring the younger faculty (roughly nine) within the Centre as well as in other HT Centres
• Ensuring that research standards reach the highest international level
• Preparation of regular external reviews of the Centre by international expert boards
• Active participation in senior scientific management committees within HT, to provide scientific, strategic and administrative input to the HT leadership
• Actively identify and pursue potential improvement to all aspects of HT
• Provide regular input and information on the Centre to the HT Director
• When required, present to the Supervisory Board of HT or its individual members
• Help develop institutional links between HT and other national and international research centres
• Actively raise third-party (external) funds and mentor younger faculty in doing so
• Help design and set up Core Facilities to serve their own and other HT Research Centres
The Heads of Research Centres will be leading researchers in their fields and have outstanding records. Departmental or institutional leadership experience is required. English will be the working language of HT. The Heads of Research Centres will possess scientific vision and will wish to develop, and operate in, an open, collaborative environment. Basic requirements include a PhD in biomedical sciences and at least 10 years of post-doctorate experience. The appointments will not have a fixed duration, but will be subject to regular performance review.
Junior research Group Leaders will be responsible for the independent development of an original and ambitious research programme. They will mentor PhD students, postdoctoral fellows and technical support staff within their group and participate in the mentoring of fellows in other research groups. They are expected to apply for external funding, for example from the EU. They will actively participate in the collegial life of HT. Their initial appointment will be for 5 years, renewable once at the junior level.
HT will provide generous internal research funding and will build up excellent infrastructure and facilities. Salaries will be competitive at the national and European levels.
Please apply online by December 7, 2018 at 12PM to https://www.htechnopole.it/join-us sending a CV, a letter of motivation, a project description and the names of four potential referees.
Questions regarding the positions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
A detailed job description for the Heads of each Research Centre can be found at the following links:
Head of Genomics https://www.htechnopole.it/head-of-genomics
Head of Computational Biology https://www.htechnopole.it/research-head-of-computational-biology
Head of Neuroscience https://www.htechnopole.it/research-head-of-neuroscience
Head of Structural Biology https://www.htechnopole.it/research-head-of-structural-biology