About the team/job
The person appointed will be part of a high-standard service facility that both produces, purifies and quantitates viruses including rAAV, lentiviral and HSV, engineers the cargo of viral vectors and produces DNA targeting constructs and CRISPR/Cas9 reagents.
You will assist the Head of Genetic and Viral Engineering Facility and EMBL researchers in the design and construction of DNA constructs. You will preform the cell culture work required for viral production, sometimes under BSL2 conditions. You will purify and quantitate viruses and send the reports to the researchers. You will interact with the Head of Service as required to troubleshoot production problems and assist with the collection and organisation of experimental data.
- a degree in a relevant field (molecular biology, biology or related disciplines)
- full training as a molecular biology technician and/or extensive working experience in molecular biology
- hands-on experience in manipulating bacteria and cell culture with aseptic technique
- extensive and successful hands-on experience in DNA manipulation including plasmid preps, PCR, qPCR, cloning, and restriction mapping
- experience in viral cultivation, purification and quantitation as well as work under BSL2 conditions.
- experience with DNA analysis/documentation software such as SnapGene or Gene Construction Kit
- the ability to be highly organised, able to run multiple projects in parallel
- the ability to maintain a clear, organised, up to date notebook and electronic database
- ability to think on your own and perform molecular biology relevant calculations
- the capacity, after training, of autonomously advancing projects in the absence of the supervisor
- the patience to perform precise repetitive tasks and enthusiastically learn new techniques as needed
- project management skills and ability to work independently
- good knowledge of desktop software applications
- strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- fluency in written and spoken English
- a friendly and professional manner
- high motivation and enthusiasm to work within an international team
You might also have
- skills in using, maintaining and improving databases including FileMaker and Excel
- a keen interest in improving procedures, efficiency, and organisation at all times
Why join us
Why not? Well, EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. Researchers at EMBL Rome take advantage of a full range of core facilities as well as close institutional links with other EMBL sites.
What else do I need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.