Institute of Computational Biology
Area of research:
As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
The Institute of Computational Biology is globally recognized for innovations in data analysis and modeling of biological systems, anchored at the Helmholtz Zentrum Munich and the Technical University Munich.
For our research team 'Translational Immunogenetics' we are currently looking for a
The Ph.D. project will focus on studying the effects of non-conventional epitopes on type 1 diabetes progression and their potential therapeutic exploitation.
The aims of the projects involve:
- Developing bioinformatics pipelines to identify non-conventional epitopes derived from alternative splice forms, fusion proteins, and post-translational modifications
- Developing predictive models to estimate the effect of post-translational modifications on HLA-epitope affinity
- Investigating the prevalence and impact of non-conventional epitopes on disease progression and their interplay with the T-cell population
- Developing optimization models for computer-aided vaccine design for type 1 diabetes
- Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Informatics or related fields (with significant experience in Bioinformatics)
- Experience with NGS (transcriptomic and genomic) analysis
- Excellent Programming skills (R, Python, C/C++)
- Scientific curiosity and ability to work independently
- Highly motivated to work in a young and multi-disciplinary, collaborative environment
- Fluent in spoken and written English
The following qualifications are considered advantageous:
- Basic understanding of the immune system
- Experience in machine learning and multivariate statistics
- Know How in combinatorial optimization
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (EG 13 50% TV EntgO Bund). In addition, there is also the possibility of granting an allowance amounting to 15% if the necessary conditions are fulfilled.
The position is (initially) limited to three years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. Applications from women are welcome. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application until.