IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
IRB Barcelona is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Genome Data Science Laboratory led by Dr. Fran Supek.
The group is looking to recruit a computational biology researcher to work on an ERC-funded project “HYPER-INSIGHT”, which deals with large-scale statistical analyses of genomic, transcriptomic and epigenomic data. Our goal is to gain an understanding of the mutational processes that shape the human genome, both in somatic and in germline cells.
In specific, we are interested in how accuracy of DNA replication and repair, evident in mutation patterns, differs between individuals in the population, and what are the biological mechanisms underlying these differences. Furthermore, we are interested in the implications of variable DNA repair to human health, including heritable diseases, aging, and cancer. For more information, please refer to the Genome Data Science web at https://agendas.irbbarcelona.org/
Relevant recent publications:
Clustered Mutation Signatures Reveal that Error-Prone DNA Repair Targets Mutations to Active Genes. F Supek, B Lehner (2017) Cell.
The rules and impact of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in human cancers. RGH Lindeboom, F Supek*, B Lehner* (2016) Nature Genetics. (*corr auth)
Differential DNA mismatch repair underlies mutation rate variation across the human genome. F Supek, B Lehner (2015) Nature.
The funding for this post is available for 3 years in the first instance; the initial contract is for 1 year with a possibility of extension. Anticipated starting date is 01-Jan-2019 although it is possible to start before or after that date.
- Perform excellent, high-impact computational biology research that aligns with the interests of the Genome Data Science lab
- Plan, design, carry out and interpret statistical analyses of massive genomic, epigenomic and genetic screening data sets.
- Develop and maintain software, web servers and databases
- Present in group and institutional meetings, contribute to manuscripts, mentor junior researchers, attend international conferences and collaborate with other groups in IRB and elsewhere
Must Have – Required
Knowledge: Applicants that have recently obtained a PhD (or are about to receive a PhD in the following months) of any educational background are welcome to apply for this position
- Solid computational skills
- Motivated, enthusiastic and collaborative person
- Good writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Multivariate data analysis / statistical techniques and software (e.g. glm regression, support vector machines, Random Forest)
- Strong publication track record in any academic field
- Bioinformatics tools and genomic data formats
- Genome-wide statistical studies e.g. GWAS, eQTL studies, or similar
- Population genomics, Evolutionary genomics or Cancer genomics
- International mobility
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
How to apply:
Applications for the above opening should include a CV (highlighting 1-3 publications and briefly explaining the candidate’s contribution to each), Motivation letter and contact information of potential referees and should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Reference: PD/18/06
Deadline for applications: 24/11/2018
If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended.
Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter and experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.