At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. As one of the world's largest philanthropies, HHMI is a major force in advancing biomedical research and science education in the U.S. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation.
We’re looking for a dynamic, seasoned HR professional to join our People and Culture team as a People and Culture Director based at our Chevy Chase, MD campus.
The People and Culture Director is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides full life-cycle human resources support to HHMI’s corporate functions and Science Education program. This role is critical in executing our People and Culture initiatives, driving People and Culture functional excellence and process improvement, as well as building trusting relationships with senior leaders in Finance, Business Solutions, Operations Services, Office of General Counsel, Investment department and Science Education program.
- Works closely with People & Culture leadership to incorporate key stakeholders’ business objectives into the broader strategic plan for People and Culture.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with department and program leaders, managers and employees to help support program strategies.
- Execute ad-hoc People & Culture projects to support functional initiatives.
- Gain understanding & knowledge for HHMI, Science Ed and Corporate Function mission, programs, and initiatives. Partner with leadership and management to positively impact the achievement of defined aspirations and support a high performing culture.
- Ensure People & Culture team builds effective connections across the organization and is a visible, accessible resource for internal customers.
- Lead team of People & Culture professionals to assess needs then, in partnership with People & Culture Centers of Excellence as needed, develop, implement and assess solutions that align to the culture and operations excellence.
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and foster collaboration.
- Partner with People & Culture Centers of Excellence teams to support business needs through full life-cycle including: recruiting and selection, compensation & benefits, performance, learning & development, as well as employee engagement.
- Monitor the "pulse" of the organization and provide regular, balanced insight to Science Ed & Corporate functions and People & Culture leadership.
- Partner with People & Culture and People Services to ensure strategic and tactical deliverables are achieved. Identify opportunities for improved communication, process redesign, standardization and knowledge sharing across functions.
- Analyze trends and metrics, and collaborate with HR functional experts to develop solutions, make recommendations, and develop programs.
- Resolve complex employee relations issues through internal investigations, coaching employees and managers, partnering with People & Culture leadership and internal counsel. Provide policy guidance and interpretation to internal customers as needed.
- Provides consultative guidance, project planning, and data-driven insight in organizational change management, workforce planning, organizational planning, and talent planning.
- Participate in advancing an environment of diversity, equity and inclusive behavior and culture.
- Participation in strategic planning and translating this into operational planning and actions to affect organization and team objectives.
- Passion for innovative HR solutions and process improvement.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy with a strong customer service focus.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of employment legal requirements as well as HHMI policies and practices.
- Demonstrated project management skills; ability to lead projects across organization, ability to communicate persuasively, obtaining stakeholder buy-in and influencing without authority.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to interface at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Management, or other related field. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- SHRM-SCP or SPHR certification preferred.
- 8-10+ years’ exposure to human resources functions with steady progression in HR Management preferably in an academic or research environment.
- Experience with fast paced and changing work environments.
- Supervisory experience, leading, coaching, mentoring as well as directing the work of others, providing feedback and managing team performance.
- Prior experience working in matrix organizations preferred.
- Prior experience in a scientific/research oriented environment, a plus.