The BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute is located on the BC Children’s Hospital campus in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. With more than 350,000 square feet devoted to research, our institute is the largest of its kind in Western Canada in terms of people, productivity, funding and size.
Our more than 1,000 researchers are driven by a tireless commitment to help children and their families receive the best possible care and live the healthiest possible lives. Together with our generous and visionary partners, funders and donors, and the families who participate in our research, we are at the forefront of child health. We continuously pursue new discoveries and innovations that benefit not only the 1 million kids in BC and Yukon who depend on us, but also kids around the world.
We are part of BC Children’s Hospital, the only hospital in BC devoted exclusively to pediatric patients. In the lab, clinic and community, our clinicians and scientists are:
• Improving treatments and finding cures
• Developing breakthrough technologies
• Advancing knowledge of child health and development
• Informing policy and practice
We do this through a wide and varied research portfolio organized into four themes: Childhood Diseases; Brain, Behaviour & Development; Healthy Starts; and Evidence to Innovation.
We are supported by BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, are part of the Provincial Health Services Authority, and work in close partnership with the University of British Columbia.
Postdoctoral Program for Scholars of Excellence
The Scholars of Excellence Program provides exceptional individuals an opportunity to generate an innovative and independent research program under the mentorship of researchers based at BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute.
The program provides applicants with a generous stipend for three to five years, access to research facilities and support while obtaining rigorous mentorship to foster their early career development as child health researchers.
• We welcome applicants with an exceptional track record who will have completed a PhD or MD less than two years from program start date (July 2019-January 2020). Applicants with more than two years post-PhD or MD due to a career delay or interruption (family or health reasons), or for dedicated clinical training (residency and/or fellowship) will have their eligibility window extended on a case-by-case basis
• The applicant must not hold an academic/faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position
• The applicant may be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or foreign citizen
• The applicant must not be a BCCHR member before the award start date (no internal applicants)
• The applicant will be appointed as a postdoctoral or clinical fellow at UBC at the time the award is taken up
Applicants are encouraged to identify a proposed mentor before applying. Visit our Researchers page to learn more about our investigators and research areas
Award recipients will be provided with a salary of $70,000/year plus benefits (Extended Health Plan, Dental Plan and Employee and Family Assistance Program) and up to $5,000 to cover approved moving expenses. In addition, a maximum of $10,000/year is available to fellows for research-related expenses and up to $3,000/year is available for travel expenses to attend conferences in the first two years of the award. All funding is in Canadian dollars.
Guidelines and Application Form
The application form and the complete eligibility criteria are available online at www.bcchr.ca/scholars. The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, January 25, 2019.
For more information on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
BCCHR website: www.bcchr.ca