Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
We offer an opportunity to support a cutting-edge research laboratory at Harvard Medical School (http://www.bernhardtlab.com). We are seeking an energetic and well-organized Laboratory Manager for Dr. Tom Bernhardt’s group to aid them in their studies of how bacteria build their cell walls in order to grow and divide. A key goal of the lab is to uncover mechanisms that will facilitate the discovery of next generation of antibiotics targeting drug-resistant infections. This position integrates both administrative and laboratory responsibilities.
- Oversee laboratory operations and serve as liaison with key departments at Harvard Medical School and HHMI.
- Assist scientists and graduate students with plasmid and bacterial strain construction.
- Maintain laboratory consumable and reagent inventories. Order and receive supplies and equipment.
- Manage service contracts and repairs of laboratory equipment and maintain capital equipment inventory.
- Serve as a laboratory safety officer and manage amendments and renewals for lab permits and protocols.
- Facilitate collaborative activities within the laboratory and with colleagues at Harvard Medical School and other institutions.
- Process and track reimbursements from multiple sources for Investigator, laboratory members and visiting scientists.
- Coordinate onboarding processes and training for incoming lab members.
- Keep laboratory website up to date.
- B.S. in the life sciences with research experience in an academic or industry setting and experience handling laboratory administrative matters
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques and strong understanding of the underlying scientific principles
- Detail oriented with highly accurate work product
- Experience with bacterial genetics would be a plus
- Strong writing and computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency with the Mac platform and Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use good judgment in managing deadlines and responding to inquiries
HHMI is an EOE