The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Division of Cancer Drug Development is seeking a
Postdoc in Medicinal Chemistry
In the Cancer Drug Development group, we are interested in the synthesis and biological evaluation of novel chemical entities for use in oncological research and treatment.
You will be scientifically responsible for one or more synthetic organic chemistry projects ranging from medicinal chemistry optimization of novel anti-cancer leads to natural product total synthesis. You will be responsible for the testing of these substances in biochemical (enzyme activity) and cellular (phenotypic) assays, establishing structure-activity relationships and planning the synthesis of new compounds. This will entail detailed reading of the literature, planning, execution, optimization and analysis of multi-step reaction sequences, presentation of results in group meetings and conferences, writing of grant proposals and publications as well as supervision of students and technicians.
- Highly motivated and creative individual with a PhD or related experience in synthetic organic chemistry, chemical biology, and/or medicinal chemistry
- Ability to work on mg or multi-gram scale
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis, Schlenk technique and standard means of purification (chromatography, crystallization, distillation, HPLC)
- Experience analyzing NMR (1D and 2D) and MS spectroscopic data
- Applicants with additional experience in biochemistry and chemical biology (e.g. enzyme kinetics, cell culture, gels, blotting techniques) are also highly desired
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas verbally and on the white-board
- Your application should include a CV with publication list, two references, a brief research summary and a copy of your Diploma/Master grades.
The position is limited to 2 years
with the posibility of prolognation.
For further information please contact
Dr. Aubry Miller, phone +49 6221 42-3307.
The German Cancer Research Center is committed to increase the percentage of female scientists and encourages female applicants to apply. Among candidates of equal aptitude and qualifications, a person with disabilities will be given preference.
To apply for a position please use our online application portal (www.dkfz.de).
We ask for your understanding that we cannot return application documents that are sent to us by post (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Personalabteilung, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg) and that we do not accept applications submitted via email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.