HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal – advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
Reporting to the Chief of Operation Services, the Business Process Leader is responsible for business process reengineering (analysis, mapping and optimization) to enable the routine delivery of exceptional business process performance within the organization. The Business Process Leader leads and manages all aspects of implementing and improving business processes across and between the Operation Services Team as well as the broader HHMI organization, where applicable, in one or more of the processes in the following areas: IT Services, Investigator Services, Human Resource Administration, Procurement, Facilities and Campus Services.
The role requires a client service mindset, the ability to execute both tactical and strategic activities and deliver innovative and creative planning analysis and solutions. Will be required to effectively collaborate with operation services, program and functional business partners to help identify process improvement opportunities, develop detailed options, and execute effective implementations by applying a disciplined, logical, and comprehensive approach to problem solving. The Business Process Leader will be a self-directed, comfortable operating in a matrix environment, able to influence without authority and have outstanding analytical, critical thinking, written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
In close collaboration with Operation Service Leaders, partner with the business to contribute to low to medium complex cross-functional business process initiatives for the assigned area(s) using defined project planning, Lean Six Sigma, and Agile methodologies and tools to:
- Identify gaps and inefficiencies to current state business processes.
- Continuously identify opportunities for improvement and the desired future state.
- Prioritize the opportunities across the business to align with strategic objectives.
- Drive process optimization and promote commonality in processes and tools.
- Assist project teams with implementing improvements and solutions.
- Recognize barriers to improvement efforts and work to remove them.
- Create appropriate documentation (i.e. current and future state process maps, project reports, SOP’s, job aids, and work instructions) as required to design and implement sustainable process and business system solutions.
- Responsible to ensure business case justifications for ERP design enhancements are complete, robust, and have been vetted across all integrated process areas and include stakeholder input.
- Liaises with other business units or programs when proposing and/or changing policies, programs or processes as necessary. Partners with other process owners to ensure hand-offs between process areas are optimized and shared dependencies are fully vetted.
- Develops data driven presentations and business cases that provide analytical insight and recommendations on standardization and process improvement.
- Works with the business to define, establish, and monitor/improve process health and associated metrics based on Business & Process criteria.
- Drive the development of the organizational capabilities related to end-to-end or functional process improvement through a process engineering community of practice.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- Demonstrated facilitation and leadership skills; ability to drive for results without direct authority
- Deep process thinking with strong cross-functional integration
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, ambiguous team environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to apply critical thinking and analytical skills to identify problems, define problem statements clearly and accurately, and apply structured and disciplined methodologies to identify data-driven root causes
- Familiarity with Lean Six Sigma approaches and tools including; value stream mapping, fishbone diagrams, FMEA, pareto analysis, cost benefit analysis, etc.
- Advanced in Microsoft Office, collaboration tools and workflow documentation
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills at all levels of the organization; excellent interpersonal skills to build credibility through relationship building
- Collaborative and innovative mentality to foster team work, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, and bring teams to consensus/alignment
- Able to effectively plan, prioritize, and multitask many responsibilities, solve problems and implement decisions effectively, involving the right people in the process
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience in a business environment with a proven track record of successfully developing business process workflows with minimal oversight
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a similar position such as project coordination or business analyst, preferably in a research or scientific environment
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in Workday or other ERP Platform. Strong knowledge of Business Warehouse/Business Intelligence or other similar reporting systems is a plus