HHMI is widely recognized as the world’s foremost medical research organization and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At the root of our work is the belief that significant advances in science are made possible when exceptionally talented researchers are given the time and freedom to pursue their interests and challenging, long-range questions.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. Together, we are working toward a common goal – advancing biomedical research and promoting science education.
The Business Operations Analyst is responsible for managing and guiding the entire Operations Services (Ops Srvs) administrative operations software technology portfolio. Specific responsibilities include representation of Ops Srvs on appropriate Product Owner Councils, as well as partnering with all HHMI Capability Teams as Ops Srvs business operations leader. The position liaises with Operations Service’s departments to identify technology needs, collect requirements, develop functional designs, identify solution options and assess urgency to effectively counsel the Ops Srvs’ team and Chief of Operations Services on portfolio prioritization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze, plan, design and launch efficient business, financial and operations systems to support core organizational functions and business processes.
- Analyzes business needs and synthesizes and presents critical factors for decision making (including requirements, options, scope and risks).
- Analyze complex problems and ascertain solutions including the end results and methods of accomplishing the results.
- Able to quickly absorb new concepts or technologies and apply them to HHMI’s needs.
- Lead requirements gathering and process design sessions.
- Identifies conflicting practices within the scope of a project and recommends alternative courses of action.
- Manages small to medium sized projects and other initiatives.
- Partners with stakeholders and project managers, and complies with associated processes and deliverables.
- Provides regular status updates both oral and written.
- Recognizes and researches problems and identifies underlying causes, makes recommendations and implements solutions.
- Ops Srvs’ Product Owner Council (POC) member:
- Works with business owners to define business value and priority of each project request
- Represents Ops Srvs’ projects at quarterly prioritization events
- Participates in capability team demonstrations and sprint planning meetings
- May facilitate support for Ops Services’ applications that are in production.
- Main point of contact for all OS application and development project requests.
- Collect technology needs and specific project requirements from business owners and effectively translates for capability teams.
- Leads and participates in user acceptance testing for all Ops Srvs’ application development.
- Lead, or ensure adequate leadership is in place, for change management efforts associated with new technology deployments.
- Knowledgeable, curious and comfortable with all kinds of technology, including hardware, software and social media platforms
- Effective problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Knowledge of business operation systems and business processes (e.g, procurement, human resources, finance)
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, ambiguous team environment
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to handle all types of situations
- Advanced in Microsoft Office and collaboration tools
- Strong oral, written, presentation, and communication skills at all levels of the organization; excellent interpersonal skills to build credibility through relationship building
- Able to effectively plan, prioritize, and multitask many responsibilities, solve problems and implement decisions effectively, involving the right people in the process
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong customer service mindset
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 4 years working in requirements gathering and managing relationships with business functions, some project management experience preferred
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in Workday or other ERP platform