Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Job Title: Lab Manager, Lim Lab at UCSF
Job Description: We are looking for a lab manager for a laboratory of approximately 25 members. The Lim lab engineers circuits in mammalian cells with an emphasis on chimeric antigen receptors and synthetic notch receptors. Current projects in the lab include cancer treatment using CAR T-cells, tissue self-organization, and optogenetics.
The candidate will help lab members to maintain various laboratory equipment including: flow cytometers, microscopes, tissue culture facilities, and many smaller pieces of equipment. Responsibilities will include purchasing equipment, supplies and reagents through Bearbuy and Ariba, equipment maintenance, troubleshooting and repair, space management, assisting the lab administrator with the onboarding of lab members, general lab cleanliness, lab safety, maintaining general lab stocks of supplies, shipping samples, supervision of 2-3 technicians.
The incumbent will have opportunities for performing research in support of various projects in the lab.
- General molecular biology laboratory techniques
- Mammalian cell culture
- Knowledge of lab safety
- Cooperative and team-oriented
- Good communications and record-keeping skills
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Flow cytometry: LSRII, Fortessa X20, Attune NxT, FACSAria Fusion cell sorter
- Microscopy: fluorescence microscopy, spinning disc confocal, high throughput, video of environmentally controlled live cells over several days, data management
- Mouse models for cancer research
- IT, web design, biological modeling, and data management
- Advanced knowledge of tissue culture, transfection, and cell expansion
M.S. in the biological sciences or equivalent work experience.
At least two years of industry or academic lab experience is preferred.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer