Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
An exciting opportunity is available for an Administrative Coordinator to join an HHMI laboratory in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Harvard University in Cambridge. This position will provide a high level of administrative support to the Investigator and her research staff.
Supports Investigator and research staff by providing analytical and specialized administrative support through performance of a wide range of advanced and diversified administrative duties. Duties and tasks are complex in nature and sound judgment is required in prioritizing and managing work. Work is performed under supervision of the Investigator. Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Performs administrative duties in areas such as budget preparation, monitoring, and control, grant preparation and special projects, and extensive travel planning (domestic and international). Collects, prepares, edits, and assembles information in support of HHMI and Harvard University’s Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology.
- Provide administrative support to Investigator and laboratory -
- Assist in preparation of grants and fellowships, assembling various pieces from multiple contributors (PI, post-docs, lab personnel), formatting according to NIH and other granting agency guidelines
- Manage Investigator's calendar
- Make complex travel arrangements and generate itineraries for Investigator (Includes pre-planning, registering, coordinating details with meeting sponsors where appropriate, and handling the reimbursement process through a number of different sponsors.)
- Schedule meetings
- Act as liaison between host institution and HHMI Science Operations Office
- Draft correspondence for Investigator
- Perform miscellaneous administrative tasks as required
- Assist in the collection and assembly of data used in preparation of laboratory budget
- Monitor budget expenditures
- Review monthly budget reports and provide summary and projections to Investigator
- Process travel and other business expense reimbursements
- Coordinate recruitment process (including appointments, visa requirements for foreign national lab employees, and recommendation letters)
- Work with Investigator to coordinate all Associate and Department appointments/re-appointments. Ensure accuracy in the overall process, including appropriate documentation for initial appointment, monitoring appointment end dates, timely submission of paperwork and work with the investigator to ensure equity in salary determination.
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Extensive experience with administrative office protocols
- Prior experience in research or academia
- Knowledge of federal grant policies/procedures strongly preferred
- Excellent computer skills (Macintosh platform) including word processing, spreadsheets, and graphics applications, familiarity and comfort with web resources
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Attentive to details and deadline-oriented
- Ability to work independently, and as a team, in a busy environment to ensure effective and efficient workflow
- Solution-oriented work style
Please be sure to attach both your CV and Cover letter.
HHMI is an EOE