Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
We have an opportunity for a Research Specialist to join one of our laboratories at the University of California at Berkeley, CA. The laboratory carries out pioneering research on the mechanisms of cell-fate determination, the role of chromosome structure and chromatin modification in gene regulation, and the molecular evolution of chromosome-wide mechanisms of gene control. Approaches include genetics, genomics, single-molecule imaging, and structural studies including X-ray crystallography.
We are looking for an individual who seeks full-time employment and enjoys the excitement of a world-class scientific laboratory and welcomes the challenge of an energetic environment that maintains a strong commitment to collegiality and teaching.
The Research Specialist will perform independent research requiring application of professional judgment, interpretation of experimental results, innovation of new approaches, and preparation of research for presentation and publication.
- Perform genetic, molecular, genomic, and single-molecule experiments and analysis (including CRISPR-mediated genome editing, ChIP-qPCR, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, Hi-C, and single-molecule imaging) for research projects.
- Identify methodological problems in research protocols and assist in implementing modifications to optimize experimental results.
- Use software applications to analyze Illumina and other high-throughput data and assist others in data analysis.
- Prepare and present written or oral progress reports, including assembly, organization, and interpretation of data.
- Train others in complex technical protocols.
- Conduct literature reviews to determine suitable research methods.
- Operate, and help maintain common lab equipment.
- PhD in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, or Biochemistry and preferably 2-5 years post doctoral research experience
- Experience with bio-informatics
- In-depth knowledge of molecular biology and genetics.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on knowledge and experience.
- Ability to make research presentations and draft research manuscripts.
- Able to review data and information critically.
- Ability to develop innovative procedures to achieve goals.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer