Job Title: Research Scientists
Salary Range: A competitive remuneration package
Hours: Full time
Location: Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term (3 years), with the possibility of extension.
The post-holder will take a role in the research activities of one particular area at Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR) which covers the following areas:
- Plastic electronics, soluble semiconductors;
- Biosensing and monitoring devices;
- Stem cell bioprocessing device and equipment;
- Surface modification and polymerisation methodologies;
- Synthesis of Substrates for Biocatalytic Oxidation;
- Chemical Synthesis of 2D Materials for Opto-Electronics;
- Enzyme Evolution and Biotransformation;
- Physical Acoustics;
- Environmental Bioengineering;
- Synthetic biology and single cell biology;
- AI for Healthcare
- Manage own research and small-scale project. Co-ordinate multiple aspects of work to meet deadlines.
- Adapt existing techniques and experimental protocols and develop new ones.
- Use and maintain scientific equipment in a laboratory.
- Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports, journal articles, and grant applications.
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the team on scientific protocols and experimental techniques.
- Represent the research team at external meetings/seminars, either with other members of the research team or alone and regularly liaise with the corresponding PI in terms of project design, execution and outcomes.
- Manage own academic research and administrative activities. This involves managing small-scale project and coordinating multiple aspects of work to meet deadlines.
- Present regular summaries of research progress to senior research supervisors.
- Collaborate in the preparation of scientific reports and journal articles and occasionally present papers and posters.
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the group on scientific protocols and experimental techniques.
- Contribute ideas for new research projects.
- Be responsible for submitting invoices and expense claims for processing in accordance with the University regulations.
- Any other duties appropriate to this grade which may arise during work.
- Undertake the usual tasks of a post-doctoral Research Assistant, including attending group meetings, contributing to seminars, presenting work to visitors, etc.
- Hold a relevant PhD/ D.Phil (or near completion).
- High degree of competence in experimental work.
- Good oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop research projects and methodologies.
- Strong evidence of research achievements to date, as might be demonstrated by a good publication record and/or academic distinctions and conference prizes.
- Viewed as a motivated, enthusiastic, organised self-starter who can work with minimum supervision but at the same time extract the benefits of an excellent research environment.
- Show the ability to work supportively in a laboratory environment and take part in joint projects through co-operation and exchange of information, skills and reagents.
- Maintain detailed laboratory records, and report on progress at regular intervals, and operate in compliance with relevant Health and Safety regulations.
About OSCAR (Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research)
OSCAR, the first overseas research centre of the University of Oxford, is working closely with the Suzhou Industrial Park and both academic and industrial collaborators in China to progress a range of exciting societal and economic development opportunities.
As a multidisciplinary research, innovation and technology centre, OSCAR focuses on research challenges and technologies that both complement the Centre’s location in Suzhou Industrial Park and capitalise on current Oxford research strengths. Research will initially be focused around the areas of biomedical engineering, biomedicine, advanced functional materials, electronic / optoelectronic / photonic devices, environmental technology, energy, mathematical and computational applications in finance and in health, and other related science and engineering disciplines.
The Centre is positioned in Suzhou Dushu Lake Science and Education Innovation District (SEID), a district in southern SIP with a high concentration of science, education and innovation activity. SEID is the prototype of higher education internationalization in China which hosts 32 local and foreign universities and institutions. The Centre, housed in a nine-storey building with a gross space of 20,000m2, offers flexible access to facilities for multi-functional activities such as labs, seminars, workshops, training, public events, and administration, etc.
Guidance for Applicants
Thank you for your interest in applying for posts at the Oxford-Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research (OSCAR). Please read the following tips to help you proceed with the application process.
Before the application:
Please read carefully the job description and selection criteria for the post for which you are applying at the OSCAR website: https://oscar.web.ox.ac.uk to determine whether you have the required skills, knowledge, and experience as advertised. Please DO NOT apply for the posts which are currently unavailable. We typically receive many applications for each post, and so you will need to show in a covering letter how you meet the essential criteria and the desirable criteria in order to be shortlisted for interview.
Required Application documents:
- Please submit a covering letter and CV (both in English and in PDF) by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email subject: the title of the post for which you are applying.
- Email content: please include your contact information, name, telephone number, and any dates for which you would not be available for interview.
Covering letter (no longer than one page)
Use the covering letter to explain your motivation for joining OSCAR, and state how your skills and experience match these requirements. Please provide evidence that you have the skills, knowledge, experience, qualifications that match the requirements of the post. The strongest applications provide examples of previous work that demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria. Check your spelling and grammar; successful applications are typically proof-read to give the best impression to the selection panel.
Curriculum Vitae (CV, no longer than 8 pages)
Check that your CV is up-to-date and keep your CV within the page limit. Highlight the skills and experience that are relevant to the post for which you are applying. Avoid sending a generic CV; the strongest applications are those for which CVs are tailored for the needs of the post for which the candidate is applying. Give details of your education, employment history, publication record, lists of prizes, and voluntary experience.
After the application:
When you submit an application, the information you supply on your application will be provided to a selection panel, who will use it to assess your suitability for the post against the published selection criteria. You may be contacted via e-mail at any date regarding your application.
Your information is held securely in a database that is owned by OSCAR. The data will not be passed to external organisations or individuals other than those acting in a capacity as agents for OSCAR for software support purposes, or where an external body is party to the recruitment process.
When you submit an application to OSCAR you must confirm that you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use, including the following declaration.
- The information provided in the application materials is true and complete. I understand that any offer of employment may be conditional upon satisfactory screening.
- I consent to be contacted by OSCAR at any date regarding my application.
- I consent to the information given in this application being stored and processed in accordance with the data protection rules at OSCAR.
Thank you again for your interest in applying for a post at OSCAR.
Oxford Suzhou Centre for Advanced Research