We are looking for highly motivated and talented researchers to take the lead on high profile research projects through active pursuit of relevant experiments, and through regular interactions with the group leaders and important collaborators within and outside the research institute. Applicants are invited to submit applications for 5 available 2-year postdoctoral positions with an initial fixed term of one year, and with a possibility of extensions up to 2 years (i.e. 2+2 years). The positions are supported by prestigious grants from the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation focused on basic and clinical studies on normal and malignant hematopoiesis. The research studies will be performed at the Center for Hematology and Regenerative Medicine (HERM; http://ki.se/en/medh/herm) and the research groups with available postdoc positions are:
Yenan Bryceson (https://ki.se/en/medh/yenan-bryceson-group): Cytotoxic lymphocyte biology in health and disease (Immunity, 2015; Immunity, 2017).
- Role of SAMD9/SAMD9L in control of viral infection and tumor cell proliferation
- Understanding molecular mechanisms and improving diagnostics of primary immunodeficiency syndromes associated with predisposition to inflammation and cancer
Eva Hellström-Lindberg (http://ki.se/en/medh/eva-hellstrom-lindberg-group): MDS Research Lab (Oncotarget, 2016; Blood, 2017).
- Reducing relapse rates after allogeneic stem cell transplantation in MDS through molecular stem cell surveillance and targeted clinical treatment.
- Disease mechanisms in SF3B1 mutated MDS with ring sideroblasts (MDS-RS)
Sidinh Luc (http://ki.se/en/medh/sidinh-luc-group): Functional differences between hematopoietic stem cell types and their epigenetic regulation (Cell Reports, 2016; Cell Stem Cell, 2013).
- Identification of critical epigenetic regulators for hematopoietic stem cell lineage bias
- Characterization of the epigenetic landscape of lineage-biased hematopoietic stem cells
The research groups collaborate closely on these projects and the studies are conducted in mouse models and with relevant patient material. Key technologies applied towards these research questions include advanced flow cytometry, mouse genetics, high-throughput DNA and RNA sequencing including single cell analysis, and various in vitro and in vivo assays. Further details for each research group can be found at the indicated web homepages.
The research studies will be conducted in close cooperation with the group leaders, other scientists in the lab and external collaborators to jointly take the lead on the experimental work and data analysis of projects aiming to resolve cellular and molecular pathways regulating normal and malignant hematopoiesis. The candidate must enjoy team work and interact well with others, including other members of lab, as well as collaborating scientists and clinicians. Good communication skills will also be required for data presentations and to represent the group at local or external conferences.
Qualified to be admitted as a postdoctor is one who has obtained a doctorate or has equivalent scientific competence. The applicant can have a scheduled date for PhD-dissertation (in the mentioned subjects). In the latter case, however, the postdoc position can only be approved once the applicant has been awarded his/her doctoral degree. The head of the department determines whether their previous training and scholarly qualifications correspond to a Swedish PhD or higher.
- PhD degree, or PhD-dissertation scheduled, in which the latter require case verification from the Dissertation Committee (or equivalent body)
- Strong track record as evidenced by one or more high impact publications in relevant research fields
- Training in international leading laboratories
- Previous experience in experimental application of molecular and cellular biology techniques in hematopoiesis or immunology
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to organize, plan and document experimental bench-work
- Ability to stay on top of the relevant research field
- Experience with advanced state-of-the art flow cytometry
- Experience with next-generation sequencing analysis including RNA and DNA seq, ChIPseq, HiC, and similar assays as well as bioinformatics analysis and computational modeling based on such data
- Experience with molecular analysis of small cell numbers, including single cell analysis
The application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A statement identifying which lab(s) the applicant is interested in
- A maximum one page cover letter summarizing previous experience, research interest, and motivation for position
- Verifications for crediting of illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances
- Verification from the thesis defence committee or the equivalent
- Names and contact details of three references that are familiar with the applicants recent research and training
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.