Institute of Allergy Research
Area of research:
The Helmholtz Zentrum München in Munich, Germany, is member of one of the leading research associations in Europe - the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. The aim of our research is to proactively detect health risks involving humans and the environment, decoding the mechanisms of pathogenesis and developing concepts for prevention and therapy.
Allergies are increasing in prevalence in westernized countries, while causes and mechanisms still remain unknown. Currently the only available causative therapy of allergic diseases is the allergen-specific immunotherapy. During this therapy the allergens are injected into the patient over a long period of time with the aim to induce immunological tolerance to the allergens. The research group "Molecular and Translational Allergology" deals with the design of new approaches for the improvement of immunotherapy as well as with the analysis of mechanisms of sensitization and tolerance. Aim is the development of highly effective therapeutic concepts and their translation into clinical application.
At the next possible time we are looking for a
- Establishment of novel immunotherapeutic approaches in in vivo model systems
- Analysis of the cellular mechanisms of sensitization and immunotherapy
- Evaluation of the allergen-immune system interaction in in vitro and in vivo model systems
- Recombinant production of immunomodulatory molecules
- Work within a young and interdisciplinary research team
- Development of independent experimental research projects
- Contribution to scientific publications
- Master’s degree in biology, biochemistry or related disciplines
- Strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology, background in immunology
- Experience with immunological techniques is a plus
- Know How with the handling of lab animals are a plus but no requirement
- Experience with recombinant expression systems and protein purification preferred
- High level of interest and motivation in experimental research
- High level of team spirit and communication skills
- Good skills in spoken and written English
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (EG 13 50% TV EntgO Bund). In addition, there is also the possibility of granting an allowance amounting to 15% if the necessary conditions are fulfilled.
The position is (initially) limited to three years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. In order to increase the proportion of women in management positions, we would be pleased to receive corresponding applications. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application.