The Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute (IJC) is seeking a director to lead the institute in the next phase of development.
The Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute (Josep Carreras Institute) is a biomedical research institute founded in November 2010 by the Josep Carreras International Leukemia Foundation and the Government of Catalonia. It is a joint venture, combining private and public funding. It was created to carry out research into the basic, epidemiological, preventive, clinical and translational aspects of leukemia and other hematological malignancies.
The Josep Carreras Institute is a recognized CERCA Research Institute. CERCA is the public network of Catalan research centers (www.cerca.cat).
The Josep Carreras Institute has three Campuses: 1) The Clinic-University of Barcelona (Clinic-UB) Campus, 2) The Institut Català d’Oncologia – Germans Trias i Pujol Campus (ICO-GTP Campus) and 3) The St. Pau Campus. The environment is optimal in that there is a Department of Hematology on each campus providing access to many patients affected by hematological malignancies. The three campuses also include the Barcelona University (UB) and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) as well as other research institutes such as IDIBAPS and FCRB at the Clínic-UB Campus, IGTP, Guttmann Institute and IrsiCaixa at the ICO-GTP Campus and IR-HSCSP at the St. Pau Campus.
The Josep Carreras Institute was established with the defined mission to understand the origin and development of leukemia and other hematological malignancies, to identify new therapeutic targets and to apply more precise and less aggressive treatments and to make these diseases curable in 100% of cases.
We propose to achieve the mission of the Josep Carreras Institute by means of:
- Basic-translational-clinical research.
- Gaining insights into the molecular, cellular, genetic and developmental mechanisms underlying the etiology and pathogenesis of hematological malignancies.
- Promoting basic research among physicians.
- Matching basic research interests with clinical relevance (disease prevalence, prognosis, social costs, etc.).
Seven years after its foundation, the Josep Carreras Institute is in the process of establishing, growing and developing the research programs designed to fulfil its mission.
The current groups carry out research in areas that can be framed in several fields within twelve Research Programs:
1. Acute Leukemias
2. Chronic Lymphoproliferative Disorders
3. Chronic Myeloproliferative Neoplasias
4. Monoclonal Gammopathies
5. Myelodysplastic Syndromes
6. Erythropathology and Hematopoiesis Disorders and Rare Anaemias
7. Malignant hemopathies and Coagulation
8. Complications Associated with Therapeutic Processes
9. Haemopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Cell Therapy
10. Epidemiological Research
11. Clinical Research Trials Support
12. Basic Research Support
Since its creation in 2010, the Josep Carreras Institute has shown growth in the main research outcomes: scientific publications, translation of knowledge and innovation, and capacity to obtain research funds.
In 2017, the Josep Carreras Institute published a total of 118 original articles in international journals, with an average impact factor of 6,983. 65% of the original articles are published in first quartile magazines.
Candidate profile and contact information
The Josep Carreras Institute is seeking applicants with:
• MD PhD degree
• Distinguished record of scientific excellence in Biomedicine, Oncology or Haematological Malignancies
• Research management experience and the demonstrated innovative thinking required to lead a dynamic organization
• Knowledge of strategic planning, resource allocation and human resource management
The Director will have the support of a Managing Director for administrative issues.
She or he must meet the challenge of increasing the scientific level of the Josep Carreras Institute and boosting the translational research being carried out.
Other points that will be considered favorably:
a) A University Professorship (teaching position) in order to obtain the status of University Research Institute
b) Knowledge of the International, Spanish and Catalan research environment
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The appointment will be for a period of 5 years, which could be extended in agreement with the Board of Trustees
The director will have the following duties:
• Provide vision and strategic goals for the Josep Carreras Institute and monitor their implementation
• Submit the Josep Carreras Institute’s research activities program and annual operational budget to the Board of Trustees
• Present the Director’s Report at meetings of the Board of Trustees
• Facilitate the proper coordination in scientific and managerial issues with the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Foundation
• Represent the Josep Carreras Institute at official and social events, in coordination with the President and other members of the Board of Trustees
• Maintain the required reporting of Josep Carreras Institute’s progress to CERCA and participate in the periodic evaluations
• Propose the names of members of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) to the Board of Trustees, informing the Board about major scientific issues, and organizing regular meetings
• Coordinate periodic scientific assessments of the Josep Carreras Institute research programs and core facilities, and implement recommendations of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) and CERCA
• Supervise the implementation of financial aspects of the budget
• Negotiate contracts for new group leaders or program coordinators, whenever appropriate
• Participate in strategic decision-making, such as in the case of strategic alliances with other research institutions, in line with the Josep Carreras Institute mission, structure and background
• Consolidate collaboration with international and national research excellence institutions
• Consolidate and expand collaboration with the universities present on the Josep Carreras Institute’s campuses
• Other functions that might be approved by the Members of the Board of Trustees
Selection of candidates
Suitable candidates will be identified in a ranked list by members of the Josep Carreras Institute Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), including the input of any other expert that the SAB might require.
The Josep Carreras Institute Board of Trustees will be responsible for the final steps of the selection process and CERCA is delegated to manage all steps in this selection process.
The Board of Trustees may create an ad hoc Commission involving some of its members in order to provide a short list of the pre-selected candidates. Candidates included in the list may be invited to visit the Josep Carreras Institute and meet the ad hoc Commission for a final interview.
The results of these interviews will be presented to the Board of Trustees. The board will appoint the new Director.
Approximate Calendar4.05.2018 Call for applications opens with published deadline. 31.05.2018 Deadline for applications ends. 30.06.2018 List of prioritized candidates by SAB. 31.07.2018 Short list of pre-selected candidates chosen by the ad hoc commission.
The appointment will be announced at the end of the process
Please also visit http://www.carrerasresearch.org/en
How to apply:
Applicants should send a CV and a cover letter by e-mail to the Director of CERCA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications: 31 May 2018…