Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute is seeking a highly motivated Research Technician to join Dr. J. Paul Taylor’s group at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The primary focus of this position will be basic protein purification.
For more information about the work in Dr. Taylor's laboratory, please visit us at: http://www.hhmi.org/scientists/j-paul-taylor
Under general supervision, assist scientists and other researchers in the performance of laboratory and investigative procedures by performing a variety of routine experimental techniques such as cell and molecular, and biochemical studies. Collect, verify, record, and compile data and information in support of research.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities (specific duties will depend on needs of the laboratory):
- Assist scientists and technicians by performing various investigative procedures and operating a variety of instruments and other scientific equipment.
- Order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies,
- Maintain laboratory invoices and acts as liaison with administrative offices
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; perform calculations and prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and test reports.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data; tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- Work with bacterial and tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.
At least one year of experience in protein purification and troubleshooting skills (handling HPLC, size exclusion chromatography, etc.).
Organizational Scope and Impact of Position:
Contributes to research results on an on-going basis. Usually conducts routine aspects of research projects. Influences short range and limited scope activities. Errors, though potentially significant, are usually limited in scope due to close supervision of individual
Interactions with Others:
Organizes projects within workload to insure goals are met. Meets routinely with supervisor. Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Science degree in an appropriate field of science or technology or equivalent in education and related laboratory experience.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
- Generally experienced in job duties and in the principles and practices associated with those duties with an understanding of the underlying scientific principles.
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction. Able to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer