Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
HHMI has an opening for a part-time Laboratory Assistant (10 hours/week; 6AM-8AM Monday through Friday) to support research activities in the laboratory of David Sabatini, MD, PhD. Dr. Sabatini, HHMI Investigator, is a professor of biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and member of the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research. The laboratory is located at the Whitehead Institute in Cambridge, MA. The Lab Assistant will perform routine laboratory work under close supervision. They will be responsible for cleaning laboratory glassware and sterilization of materials. They may also prepare solutions and media under sterile conditions.
- Assist Lab Manager with cleaning, inventory and maintenance of lab and equipment
- Clean and sterilize laboratory equipment, instruments, and tissue culture room including biosafety cabinets, liquid bio waste, and changing bleach in waste bottles
- Clean and organize lab sinks
- Wipe down centrifuges and other lab equipment on a weekly basis
- Tidy up chemical room twice per week and sonicator room once per week
- Wipe down lab counters
- Change water baths once per week
- Prepare solutions and media under sterile conditions
- Perform other tasks as required or assigned
- High school education or equivalent technical training; college level science courses or one year's lab experience
- Understands operation of basic equipment. Performs routine, repetitive functions
- Knowledge of basic job duties and requirements
- Ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks with limited supervision
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed
Please note: Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
HHMI is an EOE