Vienna Research Groups: Vienna as a large university hub is offering tenure-track positions for young talented group leaders
Vienna is one of the most liveable cities in the world with a broad and excellent research landscape. One current aim is to further strengthen the research field of Computational Biosciences. Therefore, two tenure-track positions in the competitive call “Vienna Research Groups for Young Investigators” (VRG) by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund (WWTF) are currently advertised.
WWTF is a private non-profit funding organization for scientific research in Vienna. Its goal is to promote excellence in science and research via funding that is designed to strengthen first-class research in Vienna.
For its VRG program, Viennese research institutions are currently searching for young excellent researchers from abroad. With funding from the City of Vienna, the VRG programme aims to attract promising young researchers (in general two to eight years after having obtained their PhD) from abroad to establish their first independent research group in Vienna. Successful candidates will be given a long-term career perspective with a tenure-track position at this research institution.
The eleventh VRG call 2020 (as part of the WWTF’s Life Sciences programme) for two group leader positions in the field of Computational Biosciences is now open. Proposals must address an important scientific research questions in the life sciences with state-of-the-art computational methods. WWTF grants a maximum of € 1.6 million per research group for six to eight years. Female applicants are especially welcome to submit a proposal.
How to apply:
- The application has to be in tandem with a Viennese research institution (“host institution”) – the selection of which candidates submit an application for the WWTF VRG call is done by the Viennese institutions beforehand.
- Candidates may only apply to one Viennese research institution. Candidates do not apply to WWTF directly.
- To identify potential host institutions, please consult https://www.wwtf.at/programmes/vienna_research_groups/#VRG20. The specific job advertisements of Viennese research institutions and their respective timeline as well as contact persons can be found there.
- After being selected by a Vienna host institution, the proposal can be submitted together with the host institution electronically through WWTF’s submission system. The submission deadline of proposals is at 2 pm on the 16th of June 2020.
- Decisions are planned for December 2020. Hearings of selected candidates will take place in Vienna on the 3rd and 4th of December 2020.
Further information, including the VRG20 Call Fiche, the VRG20 Guide for Writing a Proposal and the current VRG Funding Guidelines (German), can be found on the WWTF homepage www.wwtf.at.