About X4 Pharmaceuticals
Our commitment is to find solutions for patients. Every day, we strive to advance our pipeline of innovative medicines to treat rare diseases. Our first-in-class, oral, small molecule therapeutics are antagonists of chemokine receptor CXCR4, which have the potential to treat a range of rare diseases, including primary immunodeficiencies (PIs) and cancer.
X4 Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded and is led by a team with deep product development and commercialization expertise, including several former members of the Genzyme leadership team and is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Our Research facility, X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is located in Vienna, Austria and includes a team of highly motivated scientists and technicians who are dedicated to building a Research Center of Excellence.
X4 Pharmaceuticals (Austria) GmbH is currently offering a full-time employment contract for a Head of Research.
Reporting to the SVP, Research and Development in the corporate office in Cambridge, MA. USA, the Head of Research will expand the depth of talent and leadership on our science team and establish the research site in Vienna, Austria as a Research Center of Excellence. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and executing research strategies to explore and understand the biology underlying primary immunodeficiency diseases and genetically defined cancers, as well as developing a discovery pipeline to identify new biological targets and small molecule therapeutics. X4 Pharmaceuticals is currently conducting a Phase 3 study with Mavorixafor in WHIM Syndrome and opening Phase 1b studies in severe congenital neutropenia and Waldenstroms Lymphoma. The Head of Research will bring a strong reputation and background in people management and in building and retaining strong teams. Scientific experience in drug discovery, immunology and sound knowledge of primary immunodeficiencies is required. A forward thinking, intellectually curious leader with prior leadership experience in industry who thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary biotech environment is suited for success.
To succeed at X4, the candidate will have a sustained reputation for putting the patient first and foremost, as well as a values-driven work style where integrity and grit drive all behaviors, decisions and actions.
- Expand the science team and establish X4’s research facility in Vienna, Austria as a leading Research Center of Excellence.
- Ensure alignment with SVP, R&D and lead success to meet X4’s corporate goals and
- Coordinate and manage successful drug discovery efforts with the US and global Contract Research Organizations
- Expand the translational science capability and work with the medical team in the US to profile patient derived genetic variants
- Lead and develop the science team by providing expert guidance, strengthen corporate scientific excellence and champion new biological targets to identify new potential research projects
- Assure and execute timely and compliant financial planning and resources allocation
- Establish and build long term research collaborations with academic partners, key opinion leaders and Contract Research Organizations
- Disseminate scientific results in a timely and compliant manner through publications and scientific meetings
Qualifications and skills:
- Ph.D. degree in immunology or a relevant area of biological science with 10+ years post-doctoral experience in the biotech or biopharma industry
- Deep experience in adaptive and innate immunity, including immune cell activation, lymphocyte biology and cell signaling; sound knowledge in primary immunodeficiency disorders
- Proficient in modelling immunodeficiency disorders ex vivo and in vivo
- Translational science background with proven experience in preclinical and clinical development
- Small molecule drug discovery experience from target identification to candidate nomination
- Proven reputation as a strong leader and developer of people and teams
- Strong business understanding, organizational skills including experience in project management, financial and resource planning
- History of building a strong and reliable scientific network
- Proven ability to inspire and lead creative and innovative thinking with talented research teams and collaborate effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Reputation for scientific rigor and integrity
- Scientific accomplishments in the field, including publications, patents and conference contributions, excellent verbal, written and electronic presentation and communication skills and command of written and spoken English (corporate language)
- German language skills are an advantage, but not required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. X4 Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce.
Please send your resume and cover letter in English to email@example.com