About the team/job
EMBL IT Services operate and support the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and for the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome. We develop and maintain the technical infrastructure for the EMBL corporate website and are currently involved in a major re-design and implementation of a new infrastructure for this site, in collaboration with our Web Development colleagues at EMBL-EBI in Cambridge.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Web Developer to join the Software and Solutions team within EMBL IT Services, who will be responsible for our current website infrastructure and is expected to take a key role in this new project.
- To develop and maintain the technical infrastructure for the EMBL websites
- To integrate the content management system, web apps, database resources and enterprise search with our website
- To provide technical support for this infrastructure to our internal customers
- To design and implement our new major website
- To closely collaborate with our Communications Team and the Web Development team at EMBL-EBI in Cambridge
- Proven professional experience in web development
- Experience with web content management systems
- Basic understanding of SQL
- Good working knowledge in administration of Linux systems, web servers and relational databases
- Background in enterprise search technologies (e.g. Elasticsearch, Solr)
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, you are well-organised and self-motivated
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
You might also have
- Experience in containerizing applications using Docker
- Knowledge in implementing and applying CI/CD methodology
- Scripting skills such as Python, Bash, JS
Why join us
We offer you:
- The opportunity to work with the latest tools and technology
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Technological exchange and working with IT teams across EMBL
- A competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- A flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- An inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- To be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with over 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences whilst actively engaging in technology transfer activities, and to help integrate European life science research at all levels.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.