About the team/job
EMBL IT Services operate and support the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and for the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome. In collaboration with the EMBL-EBI in Cambridge our team is creating and implementing a new web infrastructure for all EMBL websites.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic Web Developer to join the Software and Solutions team within EMBL IT Services, who will be responsible for driving and implementing a new enterprise database service, in order to improve web access to the laboratory’s dynamic content.
- Closely collaborate with stakeholders across all EMBL sites to define the requirements for the enterprise database
- Design and implement a database schema for all dynamic business objects involved
- Implement the backend feeds to this database
- Provide a lightweight REST API to access the data
- Closely interact with frontend web development teams consuming the API
- Support, monitor and manage your product
- A degree in computer sciences or similar
- Proficiency in designing and implementing data models in SQL and NO-SQL
- Background in database administration
- Successfully delivered solid and production ready solutions
- The willingness to work in a rapidly changing and heterogeneous environment
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, you are well-organised and self-motivated
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
You might also have
- Experience in containerizing applications using Docker
- Knowledge in implementing and applying CI/CD methodology
- Scripting skills such as Python, Bash, JS
Why join us
We offer you:
- The opportunity to work with latest technology
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Technological exchange and working with IT teams across EMBL
- A competitive salary and a comprehensive pension scheme; medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial sponsorship for relocation and installation for you and your family
- A flexible and friendly, international working environment fostering creativity
- An inclusive, equal opportunity employer strongly committed to achieving gender balance
- To be part of one of the world’s highest ranked scientific research organizations and to commit to this joint effort to better understand the principles of life
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with over 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT).
Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences whilst actively engaging in technology transfer activities, and to help integrate European life science research at all levels.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online at www.embl.org/jobs!
Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.de/itservices.