We are building a unique environment of world-class researchers and industrial-scale real-world data openly shared with the scientific community. We take a proudly interdisciplinary approach to bring together top talent from complementary fields, combining in-depth domain knowledge in AI, simulation, and geospatial analysis from academia and industry. All our research is open and published. Contact us to contribute and join us. We organize and sponsor scientific visits, research exchanges, multi-month thematic focus programmes, and academic competitions such as Traffic4cast at NeurIPS.
We are expressly inviting you to enquire about
- Visiting Professorships
to exploit the Institute as a hub for scientific collaboration. Visiting Professorships are endowed with generous discretionary funds and the complete freedom to pursue your ground-breaking academic research.
Key Research Areas
The Institute pursues both basic and applied research in Artificial Intelligence.
Critical analyses and fundamental studies seek novel insights that shape the future of our society. Key areas of research include:
- World Simulation – We train in simulators by reinforcement learning or other meta-learning strategies to study climate change models, smart cities, sustainable mobility, fleet management, etc.
- Prediction through Description – We investigate the reliability and interpretability of modern machine learning models. We focus on high impact questions such as predicting patterns in urban traffic or large-scale rainfall, assessing climate change, biomedical image classification, and helping discover new drugs.
- A Theory of AI – We work towards a rigorous understanding of the success of the latest ‘black-box’ algorithms that is also intuitive to humans.
- A stimulating multi-national and interdisciplinary open work environment.
- World-class infrastructure, on-premise HPC.
- A chance to work on unique bleeding-edge problems.
- Interaction and exchange with first-class specialists.
- Maximal freedom and focus to conduct highly creative research and make breakthrough discoveries working on your own research project.
Our remuneration packages are generous and include comprehensive family health care, substantial pension plans (EU-wide), relocation support, etc.
Living and working in Vienna
Living and working in Vienna benefits from the outstanding services provided by the city and the state (strong public health service, exemplary public transport, …). There moreover is a wide range of recreation opportunities in easy reach, within the city or in the Vienna Woods, the Burgenland lake district, and the Semmering alpine mountain range. Together with the rich and varied cultural choices on offer, they contribute to the high value of leisure time in Vienna. Residents form a very international community – about two in five of the 1.9 million people living here came from abroad. The outstanding quality of life that attracts people to Vienna is regularly reflected in international studies, which consistently rank Vienna within the top three cities for general quality of life worldwide (Mercer Consulting) and as leading smart city (Roland Berger).
See www.iarai.ac.at/the-institute to learn more.
If you have any questions, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org