Vice President, Head of Research
OncXerna seeks an experienced and highly motivated scientific leader to join its team in Waltham, Massachusetts. This is an ideal position for an individual with a strong background in cancer biology and drug development, who thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial biotech environment. Will build and manage internal capabilities as well as identify and partner with external resources to provide the company with the scientific expertise needed to execute on our ambitious goals.
The candidate will be an integral member of the Executive Leadership Team. Individual will develop and maintain relationships with counterparts and functional leaders across the entire organization.
About the company
OncXerna Therapeutics, Inc. is a next generation, precision medicine oncology company. OncXerna leverages its unique biomarker platform to develop targeted therapies that are matched to individual tumors based on RNA profiles that describe the biology of the cancer. The current pipeline is focused on novel mechanisms to modulate tumor immune biology and tumor angiogenesis. OncXerna, Inc., based in Waltham, Massachusetts, and is working with global partners to acquire and further develop innovative drugs for cancer patients around the world.
• Biomarker Discovery
o In partnership with senior leadership, will establish the strategy and objectives to expand the current biomarker platform to additional cancer biologies.
o Collaborate to support the evaluation of new partnering opportunities.
o Manage or partner, as appropriate, with internal staff to execute on Discovery Goals.
o Take responsibility for effective vendor management and efficient use of budget.
o Build and maintain external KOL relationships and academic collaborations.
o Explore and maximize the potential and value of the precision medicine platform.
• Companion Diagnostic Development
o Partner with clinical teams to support diagnostic development and analysis of biomarker data.
o Be a leader to external environment for our biomarker strategy.
• Evaluation of licensing opportunities
o Lead scientific evaluation of molecules with respect to pre-clinical biology data, clinical MOA validation, and suitability for companion diagnostic enablement.
o Support BD efforts broadly as a spokesperson for our precision medicine platform.
• Innovative thinker with a deep understanding of cancer biology.
• Places a priority on getting results with an emphasis on high quality outcome.
• Independent, has strong initiative and ability to lead processes.
• Strong analytical skills, including ability to evaluate complex science and translate into high-quality detailed business and financial plans.
• Ability to evaluate opportunities with a cross-functional view, combining scientific and company strategic goals.
• Ability to assess and balance the need and utilization of both internal and external resources. Highly collaborative, able to form strong and productive relationships internally and externally.
• Strong communication skills, face-to-face and written; ability to represent the company professionally and effectively with important external parties such as shareholders, investors and potential partners.
• Responds resourcefully to changing business demands and opportunities.
• Actively seeks and receives coaching/mentoring.
• Displays a willingness to challenge the status quo and take risks.
Qualifications and Skills
• MD or PhD with a minimum of 4 years in an independent faculty position OR 7 years of industry experience.
• Must possess a deep knowledge of cancer biology and documented innovative independent research.
• Must also have a solid understanding of: Translational medicine, preclinical drug development and preclinical pharmacology.
OncXerna is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.