About the team/job
We are looking for a User Experience (UX) Architect to work in the Universal Protein Resource (UniProt) team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
This is an exciting role that will help shape one of the world’s leading scientific resources UniProt. S(he) will be based in a multidisciplinary team within the Protein Function group and will respond to the UniProt development Team Leader.The successful candidate will have the wonderful opportunity of interacting with scientists in the field of biology and medicine, collect their requirements, and help with the design of the best innovative interfaces for our services.
- Executing User Center Design process to maximize the impact and effectiveness of UniProt services
- Delivering actionable user research insights (via user interviews, usability studies, focus groups, surveys, etc.) to guide product strategy and design decisions
- Creating user stories, requirements and functional specifications to support the development process
- In partnership with the team, developing user personas, customer journey maps, wireframes, low-def/ high-def prototypes and creating design patterns for our design system
- Participate in the design and creation of innovative scientific data visualisations
- Facilitating workshops with users, internal stakeholders and team members to support product research and design iterations
- Liaising with senior stakeholders to capture priorities and present UX recommendations
The ideal candidate will have:
- A relevant degree in HCI/ User Experience Design/ Life Sciences
- Hands-on experience in user experience design methodologies and facilitating workshop
- Experience in a service provision role with face-to-face user contact is also very desirable
- Familiar with design tools like Sketch, InVision, Adobe InDesign, Balsamiq
This post explicitly bridges human and technical skills, and will suit someone who enjoys interaction, can listen to diverse user opinions and synthesize them into coherent recommendations.
The post holder must also have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in an international environment. Ideally, (s)he has already gained experience in a multilingual working environment.
Excellent English language skills are essential.
You might also have
Experience working in designing interfaces in biology, and working with scientists and biological databases and services is highly desirable
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 850 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.