University Professor for the specialist field of Process Systems Engineering
Technische Universität Wien, generally referred to as TU Wien, is located in the heart of Europe, a place where one can experience cultural diversity and international life. Research, teaching and learning have been conducted here in the service of progress for 200 years. TU Wien is amongst Europe’s most successful universities of technology and, with over 30,000 students and a staff of about 5,200, is Austria’s largest scientific and engineering research and education institution.
At the Institute of Chemical, Environmental and Bioscience Engineering the position of a University Professor for the specialist field of “Process System Engineering” with permanent (full-time) contractual employment is to be filled as of October 1st, 2020.
This is a professorship regulated by § 98 of the 2002 Universities Act (UG).
The position as professor for Process System Engineering has been allocated in TU Wien’s development plan to Materials and Matter as well as Energy and Environment.
Process Systems Engineering deals with the systemic analysis of chemical and biochemical engineering processes and their supply chains using computational methods. In particular, tools and methodologies are developed for process design, process optimization, process control and the impact of processes on the environment and society, including a life cycle (LCA) and technology assessment. Process Systems Engineering combines the potential applications of applied mathematics / computational engineering with process engineering and the three pillars of sustainability assessment of processes in economic, environmental and social terms. The applicant is required to have an outstanding academic record in areas of Process Systems Engineering. The vision and track record of the applicant should include methods along the current trends in digitalization and Industry 4.0.
The tasks of a full professorship at the TU Wien include teaching in the corresponding Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs as well as postgraduate training in English and German languages and participation in the management of the institute and the faculty, as well as in university committees. Within the particular teaching duties of this position, the professor introduces fundamental aspects of process systems engineering and their connection to classical process engineering. The scope of teaching should range from conveying knowledge in individual systemic building blocks, using basic science approaches up to integrated solutions in industrial applications.
TU Wien is among the most successful technical universities in Europe and is Austria’s largest scientific-technical research and teaching institution. The Faculty of Technical Chemistry, one of the eight faculties at the TU Wien, plays an active role in national and international research and has an excellent reputation. The main areas of research include Chemistry and Technology of Materials, Sustainability, Energy and Environment as well as Bioscience Technologies. The Institute of Chemical, Environmental and Bioscience Engineering (ICEBE) employs experts in the fields of separation technology, chemical and biochemical engineering as well as organic raw materials and biochemical technologies. Therefore, an intensive cooperation within the research areas of the institute and the entire faculty is expected in order to make a significant contribution to the institute vision Industrie 5.0 – Imagineering nature®.
Qualifications expected from applicants:
- Proven experience in the interdisciplinary field of Process System Engineering
- Profound expertise in model-based computer-aided Process Engineering (modelling, simulation, planning and execution of experiments, optimization and control)
- Integrative knowledge across some or all of the following:
- Development of integrated, scalable chemical and/or biochemical process chains involving various conversion and separation techniques
- Statistic and mechanistic systems analysis under consideration of digitalization and industry 4.0 tools, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Systematic workflow development for the implementation into (bio-) chemical engineering processes
- Development of optimization algorithms, life cycle assessment (LCA) and technological impact assessment tools
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies preferable in Technical Chemistry, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Electrical * Engineering or in another relevant technical discipline from a domestic or equivalent foreign university or research institution
- The qualification for lecturing (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or equivalent foreign university or an academic qualification recognised as equivalent to qualification as a university lecturer
- Profound experience in the development and completion of interdisciplinary projects with a focus on sustainable development
- An outstanding research and publication record or equivalent scientific record in industry
- An excellent reputation as an active member of the international scientific community
- A solid track record in raising research funds and managing scientific research projects
- The pedagogical and didactic qualification for academic teaching in the subject area including PhD student supervision
- The presentation of a research and teaching concept
- Relevant international experience
- Administrative and organizational skills, as well as leadership skills
- Ideally, the job holder has skills and experience in promoting young talent and women as well as in the area of gender mainstreaming
- Unless sufficient knowledge of German is available, the willingness to learn the German language soon is required, to obtain the proficiency to teach in bachelor’s programs and to work in the management of the institute and the faculty as well as in university committees
- On-site presence is expected
- Excellent working conditions in an attractive research environment
- An attractive salary combined with a supplementary company pension
- Financial support of research activities in the first years (equipment etc.)
- Assistance in moving to Vienna (if necessary)
- Dual Career Advice (if required): We offer partners of the University professors appointed to the TU Wien various support services that are individually tailored to the respective situation
- A cooperative environment in a city with an exceptionally high quality of life
TU Wien is committed to increase female employment in leading scientific positions. Female candidates are explicitly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given when equally qualified.
People with special needs are equally encouraged to apply. In case of any questions, please contact the confidant for disabled persons at the university (contact: email@example.com)
Classification in the A1 category of the collective bargaining agreement for employees of universities and a full-time minimum salary of EUR 73.438,40 gross annual is provided for. A higher salary depending on qualifications and experience is categorically a subject of appointment negotiations.
General information can be found at the following links:
- Professors appointment service
- Faculty of Technical Chemistry
Institute of Institute of Chemical, Environmental and Bioscience Engineering
Applications in English must include at least the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (complete with professional and academic background)
- A detailed motivation letter
- A presentation of previous academic activities including a survey of research and development projects carried out and of funding/grants raised (volume, duration, funding body etc.), a list of patents, editorial and expert work or/and organization of conferences etc.
- A list of publications and a list of lecturing activities (including a list of invited lectures)
- Copies of five of the most important publications
- A list of your teaching activities evidenced by a list of the university courses held so far including also a list of supervised scientific works of students, such as bachelor, diploma and master theses as well as dissertations
- A research and teaching concept with considerations on the future positioning and further development of the field of Process Systems Engineering
- We kindly ask you to download the following data sheet – please fill in and upload the file in our online application > category: +add more documents
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents by 16.04.2020.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us
Tel.: +43 (1) 588 01 DW 406201 Carmen Keck , Informations of the application process
Faculty for Technical Chemistry:
Tel.: +43 (1) 588 01 DW 15000 Dean Univ.-Prof. Dr. Mihovilovic
Tel.: +43 (1) 588 01 DW 15002 Head of the Deans Office Sabrina Lamprecht
TECHNOLOGY FOR PEOPLE