Research program title
Ultrasound-enhanced Vascular Permeability for Targeted Drug Delivery
Sonoporation, the transient and reversible opening of cell membranes by ultrasound-induced vibrations of microbubbles, offers an exciting new approach to targeted therapies. As biomedical ultrasound itself confers imaging capability and is currently clinically employed worldwide, sonoporation has tremendous potential as an image-guided, selective and non-invasive drug/gene delivery platform; either through therapeutic co-injection or the development of novel cargo-loaded microbubble constructs. The Helfield group aims to understand the physical and biophysical mechanisms of sonoporation, including the physical acoustics that initiate controlled, repeatable drug/gene delivery, and the key molecular actors that sustain and reverse cell membrane wound repair and vascular permeability. Through innovative approaches involving acoustically-coupled microscopy techniques, the goal of this research program is to substantiate the merit of ultrasound-assisted targeted therapeutic delivery as a safe clinical tool for the treatment of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Academic qualifications required
PhD in Cell/Molecular Biology, Pharmacology or related fields. Experience in vascular biology, rodent vessel isolation, pressure myography, and en-face microscopy techniques is required. Applicants should also have a strong publication record.
Experience in biomedical ultrasound is not required but considered an asset.
- Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
- Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
- Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
Timeline and application process
The Postdoctoral Fellow must start his/her appointment by August 31, 2020.
- All documents must be submitted to Niyusha Samadi.
- Please include the reference number with your application
- One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above.
- Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to Niyusha Samadi.
The prestigious Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $47,500 per year plus benefits and full access to Concordia’s services, including GradProSkills.
Concordia University is a vibrant research and teaching environment, with state-of-the-art research facilities and many research centers. Concordia is located in Montreal, Canada, a diverse and creative city, often ranked as offering one of the best quality of living experiences in North America.