The Institute of Molecular Medicine at RWTH Aachen University has an opening for
Two PhDs (m/w/d) in the field of Mucosal Immunology
Both positions are part time positions (65%; 25,03 h/w) and offered on a temporary contract (project-related) for three years. The successful candidate has the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree. The salary corresponds to level 13 TVL. The start date for these two positions is as soon as possible.
Immune responses are regulated by organ crosstalk. Changes in the gut immune system and the microbiota affect liver functions, and conversely, liver function affects intestinal immunity. We focus on the role of the adaptive immunity in these interactions.
Our first project will center around T cells in gut and liver. In this project you will dissect how gut regulatory T cells regulate the tumor environment, prevent cytotoxic T cell function and thereby favor tumor growth and metastasis formation in the liver.
Our second project emphasizes the function of B cells and antibodies in gut liver crosstalk. You will use cutting-edge sequencing technology to analyze B cell immune repertoires to understand interaction between antibodies and the microbiota.
Both projects rely on preclinical animal models, human material, high end flow cytometry, next generation sequencing, bioinformatics and a broad range of immunological techniques.
The projects are carried out as part of the collaborative research center CRC1382 and the Biomedical Graduate School Aachen.
More information can be found on our homepage (https://www.ukaachen.de/en/clinics-institutes/institute-of-molecular-medicine/institute.html).
- You have a MSc degree (or equivalent) in biology, biochemistry or a closely related subject.
- You have a strong interest in mucosal immunology.
- You have practical experience in basic lab techniques. Experience with animal models (mice), flow cytometry and/or bioinformatics will be an advantage.
- You are highly motivated, engaged and excited to work in an international team.
- You are proficient in spoken and written English.
- An attractive working environment in a dynamic, international and interdisciplinary team
- Remuneration in accordance with German public service salary scale level TV-L13, including public service benefits
- Excellent development and training opportunities
- A diverse range of health promotion and the extensive program of university sports
- Children’s day care center in new premises (places subject to availability)
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a “Family-Friendly University”. We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University. The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit.
Please send us your application documents including code GB-P 22688 by March 13, 2020 preferrably by e-mail to:
Uniklinik RWTH Aachen
Institute of Molecular Medicine
Director of the Institute
Univ.-Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Oliver Pabst
For further information please contact: Mrs. Dr. rer. nat. Ana Izcue (Phone: +49 241 80 85782 or E-Mail: email@example.com) or Mr. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Oliver Pabst (Phone: +49 241 80 85496, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note, however, that communication via unencrypted email poses a threat to confidentiality vulnerable to unauthorized access by third parties.