Advanced imaging techniques at HHMI Janelia Research Campus produce large amounts of image data that require careful voxel-level annotation to extract useful information about the imaged biological structures. Data annotation is an essential component in training automated image processing techniques, such as deep learning, and requires meticulous attention to detail.
The Project Technical Resources team is seeking a temp-to-hire research technician to assist with the annotation of intracellular organelles in electron microscopy images in order to establish an automated image processing pipeline. The technician will work under limited supervision, collaborating closely with scientists and other support groups. The temporary position may be converted into HHMI employment, dependent on successful completion of training. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team in a highly collaborative and supportive research environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of using both commercial and custom annotation software tools
- Correctly identify, analyze, and collect relevant data from three-dimensional images as instructed by scientific staff
- Contribute to develop the annotation software workflow
- Review/correct existing automatically or manually generated annotations
- Communicate efficiently with the manager, team members, researchers, and other support groups at Janelia
- Bachelor’s degree or Associate Degree with equivalent experience in cell biology (or related field in the life sciences), biomedical engineering, or computer science
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers
- Ability to understand and apply guidelines for data entry
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks while paying constantly close attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Aptitude to be a good team-player
- Experience in a team-oriented work environment is a plus
- Experience in interpreting light and/or electron microscopy images to identify microstructures is a plus
- Good color vision
- Ability to sit for several hours at a computer (with breaks)
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.