Senior Scientist – Synthetic Biology
Location: Cambridge (Central), UK
Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: +5 years industrial experience
Be part of shaping Stem’s future to deliver the next generation of transformational food ingredients. Our mission is to tackle the world’s greatest public health crisis; excessive sugar consumption. We use cutting edge biological science to create functional, nutritional, and economic replacements for conventional sugar, that work across the food industry.
Stem operates from the lab bench to manufacturing plant and development kitchen to end consumers. We value our networks and have strong connections to the University of Cambridge’s Biochemistry Department. It is imperative we carefully select outstanding individuals who care about our mission and are passionate about challenging the status quo.
As a team, we are committed to working together to create a great work environment where smart and engaged people tackle meaningful challenges and make an impact. If this excites you, we encourage you to join us as Synthetic Biology Team Leader
As a member of the initial scientific team at Stem, the successful hire will be a talented applied strain development scientist with expertise in microbial molecular biology, synthetic biology, or another related discipline and experience of scientific line management. Reporting to the Head of R&D, you will work on various aspects of Stem’s technology. You will primarily be responsible for establishing a team that will develop and implement molecular/synthetic biology tools for strain engineering and optimisation.
Responsibilities to Include:
• Engineering and development of a variety of microbial, yeast and/or fungal strains for production of novel enzyme biocatalysts
• Acquiring, developing and implementing molecular biology techniques for use in target microorganisms
• Building and line managing your team of Synthetic Biology R&D scientists
• Communicating your group’s results and lab issues in a timely manner with clarity and precision, both verbally and in writing;
• Ensuring your team is up to date with and adopts SHE best practices
• Contributing to internal invention disclosures and preparation of patents to secure Intellectual Property rights
• Working with process development and fermentation scientists and on biocatalysis, fermentation, and downstream processes.
• Collaborating and authoring external publications and presenting research at external conferences.
• A PhD in a synthetic biology-related discipline (e.g., synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, biochemistry, molecular biology, etc.)
• 5+ years industry experience in a relevant technical role
• Good understanding of metabolic engineering, microbiology, genetics and organic chemistry principles
• Demonstrated practical ability to manipulate microbial strains to produce desired enzymes. Experience with engineering fungi is preferred.
• Proficiency with techniques used to build large DNA assemblies from a library of DNA parts
• Expertise using a variety of DNA transformation techniques into both eukaryotes and prokaryotes
• Skill with standard methodologies to isolate and purify proteins and characterize activities
• Ability to plan, execute, interpret results and report / present own work and that of team.
• Demonstrable capacity to explain difficult scientific concepts to various audiences orally and in writing
• Must be hard working, self-directed and flexible and be able to re-prioritise and project manage several technical and time-constrained projects simultaneously, delivering results against tight deadlines
• Experience of coaching and mentoring scientific staff and / or previous line management duties
• Proven ability to think creatively, develop cutting edge ideas for research programs, as well as to develop novel strategies to overcome challenges and achieve defined goals
• Appreciation of the bigger picture and how work fits into that of the whole business
Additional Benefits Include
• 31 days holiday (inclusive of Public Holidays) per annum
• Employee pension scheme
• Significant opportunities for personal and career development as you grow with the Company
This is an exciting opportunity to join a groundbreaking Company for the next phase of its growth as well as a chance to build, lead and develop your team in a function critical to Stem’s success.
Queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org