The MAX DELBRÜCK CENTER FOR MOLECULAR MEDICINE (MDC) in Berlin, a leading biomedical research institute and a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, is inviting applications for the position of a
Team leader for image data analysis
(job code 11227/2020)
The MDC is dedicated to interdisciplinary biomedical research with the aim to translate basic research findings into clinical applications. At its two research locations in Berlin the MDC is expanding in relevant biomedical research fields, for example, Medical Systems Biology, including Imaging Technologies and Data Sciences. Imaging at the MDC covers a wide range of technologies, instrumentation and applications across several scales in space and time and levels of analysis – from basic sciences to biomedical and (pre-) clinical research in various areas of diseases. Research groups and technology platforms are integrated in numerous collaborative research projects and technology developments with national and international partners.
In the context of the framework of the Incubator Initiative of the Helmholtz Association, a new Helmholtz Imaging Platform (HIP) receives substantial funding, which will be jointly established by the MDC, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum (DKFZ) and Deutsches Elektronen-Synchotron (DESY). The contribution of the MDC will be the integration of image data, algorithms and visualization solutions across scales in space and time and modalities, and foster their application across research fields of the Helmholtz research community and beyond.
The tasks of the successful candidate include but are not limited to:
- Implementation of concepts and algorithms for handling and generic processing of high-dimensional datasets
- Design and implementation of image analysis and data abstraction frameworks as part of the HIP solutions concept
- Implementation of specific use-cases for data import, visualization and processing
- Coordination of implementation efforts between HIP institutions DESY, DKFZ and MDC
- Communication and coordination with relevant scientific initiatives (e.g. NEUBIAS, OME, …)
- Publishing milestone software solutions
Applicants should have a degree in computational sciences, e.g. bioinformatics, computer science, data science, information science or equivalent. Scientific experience in the area of image data analysis in the life sciences is required. Further qualifications are highly desired:
- Advanced experience in software engineering
- Experience in data analysis of relevant imaging modalities
- Initiation and coordination of open-source software development projects
- Strong publication record highlighting achievements in image analysis
- Advanced experience in common programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, C++, …)
- Knowledge of current data formats (e.g. zarr, HDF5, N5, …)
- Experience in parallel (cluster & cloud) processing
The MDC offers:
- Salary: E14 TVöD/Bund depending on qualification
- A 2-year contract with the perspective of extension
- 2 additional positions for image data analysists and/or programmers
- Great opportunities for career development
- A highly collaborative and vibrant scientific community
- An inclusive and family friendly environment
- Starting date for the position: as soon as possible
The MDC is committed to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications of open-minded people who enjoy working in teams. Applications from women are explicitly encouraged and women will be given preference over equally qualified men (within the legal possibilities). Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification will be given particular consideration.
Please submit your application by April 7, 2020 as one pdf file (5 MB max, including a cover letter, CV, references as well as relevant educational and degree certificates) indicating the registration number to firstname.lastname@example.org.