Senior Scientist – Fermentation and Bioprocessing
Location: Cambridge (Central), UK*
Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: +5 years industrial experience
Be part of shaping Stem’s future to deliver the next generation of transformational food ingredients. Our mission is to tackle the world’s greatest public health crisis; excessive sugar consumption. We use cutting edge biological science to create functional, nutritional, and economic replacements for conventional sugar, that work across the food industry.
Stem operates from the lab bench to manufacturing plant and development kitchen to end consumers. We value our networks and have strong connections to the University of Cambridge’s Biochemistry Department. It is imperative we carefully select outstanding individuals who care about our mission and are passionate about challenging the status quo.
As a team, we are committed to working together to create a great work environment where smart and engaged people tackle meaningful challenges and make an impact. If this excites you, we encourage you to join us as Bioprocessing Team Leader
As a member of the initial scientific team at Stem, the successful hire will be a talented fermentation scientists with expertise in bioreactor culture of microorganisms and fermentation scale-up, or another related discipline and experience of scientific line management. Reporting to the Head of R&D, you will work on various aspects of Stem’s technology. You will primarily be responsible for establishing a team that will develop and implement cultivation strategies for the optimised production of microbially derived enzymes and their recovery from cells and/or broth.
Responsibilities to Include:
• Bioreactor culture of a range of microorganisms including bacteria, yeast and filamentous fungi.
• Optimisation of media requirements to minimise cost while maximising growth and productivity
• Consideration of scale-up requirements early in the development process, including industrially relevant downstream processing and product recovery techniques
• Building and line managing your team of Fermentation and Bioprocess scientists
• Communicating your group’s results and lab issues in a timely manner with clarity and precision, both verbally and in writing
• Ensuring your team is up to date with and adopts SHE best practices
• Contributing to internal invention disclosures and preparation of patents to secure Intellectual Property rights
• Working with strain engineering and process development scientists and chemical engineers on scale-up considerations
• Collaborating and authoring external publications and presenting research at external conferences.
• A PhD in a microbial bioreactor culture for enzyme production (e.g., fermentation, recombinant protein production, scaled bioprocess development etc.)
• 5+ years industry experience in a relevant technical role
• Good understanding of microbial bioreactor culture including considerations at scale, microbial growth and physiology, media optimisation and product recovery
• Demonstrated practical ability to grow bacteria, yeast and filamentous fungi. Experience of working with filamentous fungi is particularly favoured
• Proficiency with techniques such as design of experiments and statistical approaches to maximise information generated from the minimum number of experiments
• Skill with standard methodologies for protein recovery as well as understanding of how upstream decisions affect downstream processing
• Expertise in use of bioreactors at various scales from lab bench to manufacturing plant
• Ability to plan, execute, interpret results and report / present own work and that of team
• Demonstrable capacity to explain difficult scientific concepts to various audiences orally and in writing
• Must be hard working, self-directed and flexible and be able to re-prioritise and project manage several technical and time-constrained projects simultaneously, delivering results against tight deadlines
• Experience of coaching and mentoring scientific staff and / or previous line management duties
• Proven ability to think creatively, develop cutting edge ideas for research programs, as well as to develop novel strategies to overcome challenges and achieve defined goals
• Appreciation of the bigger picture and how work fits into that of the whole business
Additional Benefits Include
• 31 days holiday (inclusive of Public Holidays) per annum
• Employee pension scheme
• Significant opportunities for personal and career development as you grow with the Company
This is an exciting opportunity to join a groundbreaking Company for the next phase of its growth as well as a chance to build, lead and develop your team in a function critical to Stem’s success.