Senior Scientist – Biocatalysis & Process Development
Location: Cambridge (Central), UK
Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: +5 years industrial experience
Be part of shaping Stem’s future to deliver the next generation of transformational food ingredients. Our mission is to tackle the world’s greatest public health crisis; excessive sugar consumption. We use cutting edge biological science to create functional, nutritional, and economic replacements for conventional sugar, that work across the food industry.
Stem operates from the lab bench to manufacturing plant and development kitchen to end consumers. We value our networks and have strong connections to the University of Cambridge’s Biochemistry Department. It is imperative we carefully select outstanding individuals who care about our mission and are passionate about challenging the status quo.
As a team, we are committed to working together to create a great work environment where smart and engaged people tackle meaningful challenges and make an impact. If this excites you, we encourage you to join us as Biocatalysis & Process Development Team Leader
As a member of the initial scientific team at Stem, the successful hire will be a talented applied enzymologist with expertise in biocatalysis, process intensification & scale-up, or another related discipline and experience of scientific line management. Reporting to the Head of R&D, you will work on various aspects of Stem’s technology. You will primarily be responsible for establishing a team that will develop and implement the engineering and optimisation of enzymes, biocatalytic processes as well as their implementation at scale.
Responsibilities to Include:
• Engineering and development of novel enzyme biocatalysts, including their use in biocatalytic processes
• Acquiring, developing and implementing enzyme evolution techniques and assays
• Implementing industrially relevant downstream processing and product recovery techniques
• Building and line managing your team of Enzymologists and Process Development scientists
• Communicating your group’s results and lab issues in a timely manner with clarity and precision, both verbally and in writing
• Ensuring your team is up to date with and adopts SHE best practices
• Contributing to internal invention disclosures and preparation of patents to secure Intellectual Property rights
• Working with strain engineering and fermentation scientists and on strain engineering, fermentation, and downstream processes
• Collaborating and authoring external publications and presenting research at external conferences.
• A PhD in an enzymology related discipline (e.g., biochemistry, biocatalysis, enzyme evolution, process development etc.)
• 5+ years industry experience in a relevant technical role
• Good understanding of enzymology, enzyme evolution, bio-organic chemistry and factors affecting yield, titre and productivity in scaled biocatalytic processes
• Demonstrated practical ability to use enzymes in the production of desired products. Experience of working with glycosyl hydrolases is preferred
• Proficiency with techniques used to design enzyme variant libraries through rational design and directed evolution techniques
• Skill with standard methodologies to isolate and purify proteins and characterize activities
• Expertise in developing high throughput enzyme assays and using these to identify lead candidates. Previous use of automated platforms is desirable
• Knowledge of downstream processing techniques including chromatography and membrane separation
• Ability to plan, execute, interpret results and report / present own work and that of team
• Demonstrable capacity to explain difficult scientific concepts to various audiences orally and in writing
• Must be hard working, self-directed and flexible and be able to re-prioritise and project manage several technical and time-constrained projects simultaneously, delivering results against tight deadlines
• Experience of coaching and mentoring scientific staff and / or previous line management duties
• Proven ability to think creatively, develop cutting edge ideas for research programs, as well as to develop novel strategies to overcome challenges and achieve defined goals
• Appreciation of the bigger picture and how work fits into that of the whole business
Additional Benefits Include
• 31 days holiday (inclusive of Public Holidays) per annum
• Employee pension scheme
• Significant opportunities for personal and career development as you grow with the Company
This is an exciting opportunity to join a groundbreaking Company for the next phase of its growth as well as a chance to build, lead and develop your team in a function critical to Stem’s success.