About the team/job
We are looking for a Systems Administrator who will support and maintain our large compute cluster estate. The successful candidate will join the small and dedicated Compute sub-team within the Systems Infrastructure team that is part of the wider Technical Services Cluster (TSC).
Your main responsibilities are to keep the compute cluster infrastructure at the highest levels of availability and performance which consists of:
- User support
- Configuration changes
- Systems automation and integration
- Firmware and Software upgrades
- Installations and replacements
- Working with suppliers and vendors
- Creating and maintaining internal as well as EMBL-EBI wide documentation
- A degree in Computer Science or have equivalent work experience and the ability to work effectively in English
- Experience and interest in managing Enterprise class compute clusters
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Diplomatic approach to conflict resolution
- Patience and resilience under pressure
- The desire to learn and keep up with technology advances
You might also have
- Linux clusters
- LSF or other queuing systems
- Puppet or Ansible configuration management
- Python/Perl/Shell scripting
- Good level of proficiency in software development (Python)
- Container technologies (Singularity, Docker, Kubernetes)
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 27 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 850 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels.
Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.