St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is one of the world’s premier research and treatment centers for pediatric cancer and other life-threatening diseases. It is globally recognized for its pioneering work in pediatric oncology and hematology; genomics; computational biology; immunology; infectious diseases; cell, molecular and structural biology; neurobiology; drug discovery; and global medicine.
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has a unified mission to use cutting-edge research to discover the origins of disease, especially cancer, in order to facilitate advances in the treatment to improve the lives of patients. The Department of Structural Biology is seeking a synthetic organic chemist to lead chemistry initiatives in Dr. Scott Blanchard’s lab to further develop intra-molecular photo-stabilized fluorescent probes for imaging applications. Qualified applicants will also lead chemical biology initiatives aimed at advancing the mechanistic study of clinically important biological systems at the single-molecule scale. The highly collaborative, hypothesis-driven environment requires a team-oriented individual with strong leadership skills to ensure quality operations as well as the vision and creativity to successfully pursue scientific advances.
- Experience designing and performing multiple-step synthesis from commercially available reagents.
- Experience in troubleshooting and optimizing chemical reactions and purification techniques.
- Experience with moisture-sensitive reactants, conventional chromatographic methods, HPLC purification, LC-MS, and NMR.
- Basic knowledge in fluorophore design and good understanding in fluorophore structure -performance relationships.
- Ability to carry out multiple projects and responsibilities in parallel, delegating as appropriate.
- Expert ability to distill complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Design and synthesis of Cyanine- and Rhodamine-class organic fluorophores and other bio-active small molecules.
- Methodology development and yield optimization for improved syntheses and scaling.
- Presentation of experimental data, research progress for collaborative publications.
- Effectively communicate and help advance multidisciplinary team-based research projects.
- Safety guidelines, chemical management, and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- A Ph.D. in an appropriate scientific field is required
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant and productive (combined) years postdoctoral research associate or five (5) years of combined academic experience at the postdoctoral level or above.
No Search Firms:St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.