Job Title: Structural Biologist/Protein Scientist (ref: SB/1219)
Job Type: 18 Month Fixed Term Contract (Maternity Cover)
Location: Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and BalversaTM partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY
…UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
We are seeking a doctoral level Structural Biologist and/or Protein Scientist to cover a period of maternity leave within Astex’s Molecular Sciences Group. The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for enabling Pyramid™, Astex’s proprietary fragment-based drug discovery (FBDD) platform and will be engaged in FBDD versus a spectrum of oncology and CNS targets. The candidate will be required to work within inter-disciplinary project teams including biophysicists, cryo-electron microscopists, biologists, medicinal chemists and computational chemists.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Recombinant protein expression (prokaryotic and eukaryotic) and purification for X-ray crystallography and other biophysical methods.
- Protein crystallisation, crystal optimisation and crystallographic structure determination of proteins in complex with small molecules/fragments for FBDD
- Communication of structural data and experimental findings to multiple project teams.
- Contributing to scientific as well as technical discussions and maintaining an up-to-date understanding of the relevant scientific and technical literature.
Expertise in one, or more, of the following areas is desirable,
- Cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM)
- Other biophysical methods such as isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC), surface plasmon resonance (SPR) or mass spectrometry (MS)
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter, quoting the job reference: SB/1219 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 31st Janaury 2020
For information on Astex Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.astx.com
and for information on Otsuka Pharmaceuticals please visit: www.otsuka.co.jp